We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favorite Travel Booking Site

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Favorite Travel Booking Site

I just had a bad experience with Orbitz and I'm looking for a new site to use in the future. I saw that someone mentioned Priceline, but have not tried that you previously. I'm a little worried about committing to a hotel without knowing in advance, but I may be brave and give it a try.

I'd be interested to hear what your favorite travel site recommendations are. Thank you!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,872 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

Don't forget to check prices with your local (experienced!) travel agent. They can oft times meet or beat the prices on line.

boise
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

Expedia had the best price for my trip in sep.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
282 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

I've used Expedia quite a bit and haven't had any problems. However, a couple of hotels have told me that when you book with Expedia or any of the other online sites, your room preference isn't guaranteed. But I've always gotten the type of room I paid for.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

I use Expedia, too. But I keep hearing on consumer lines I should be trying others, like travelzoo.com.

For hotels, I've heard hotels.com and sometimes it's good and sometimes Expedia beats it. Also... y'know, I've had a decent experience at www.hotelres.com, which I used when nothing else was working to book a cheap, centrally located room on -- get this -- New Year's Eve. I actually found one that was exactly what I expected (it helps that I know the area), and it wasn't a lot of hairpulling. It was a good experience.

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,325 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

With hotels, you can often get the best price just by going directly to the hotel's website. I usually start with hotels.com, find what I like, then book directly throught the hotel. This system doesn't work if you'r e going for the package deal, though.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

MacJack is right. I used to use Orbitz often and I never had a problem like yours, but I found that you can get the best deals directly from the hotels themselves.

After I stumbled upon TripAdvisor, I rarely use Orbitz. Once I find a hotel after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, I then "google" the name of the hotel so that I can go directly to the hotel's website and book the room.

The only thing Orbitz is good for is finding out which airlines fly to which cities. Once I do a search for fares on Orbitz, I then go directly to the airline's website and get the best fare directly from the specific airline. It takes a bit more work, but it is worth it.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,538 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

I've been pleased with hotel bookings I've made through priceline and hotwire. With both, you commit and pay before you know the name of the hotel. But both services deal only with decent quality hotels.

Priceline is an auction, and if your bid is rejected, you have to wait several days before you can bid again for the exact same stay. But if you're willing to start with a low bid and bid again every three days, you can get great deals. Prices seem to be slightly higher on hotwire, which does not use auctions.

Warnings: Their bookings really are non-cancellable and non-refundable. If you cancel your trip, you cannot get a refund. With priceline (I'm not sure about hotwire), if you miss the first night, the remainder of your reservation gets cancelled. And be careful to read the fine print and pick only neighborhoods you'll be ok with.

New England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Favorite Travel Booking Site

I booked a long weekend in South Beach (Catalina Hotel) on hotels.com, and when I got there, they had my reservation but were oversold and had no room. They sent me to another hotel that was WAY inferior and cheaper. I complained, they said to contact hotels.com. I had prepaid, of course, as is required on hotels.com, and now I cannot get any response from hotels.com. I have written and called multiple times -- nothing. I filed a billing complaint with my credit card company, they said since I stayed at the second hotel, they can't do anything. Any ideas on what I can do??