We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

southern Germany
Level Contributor
985 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

Well, I like the location and as I can see from photos the style of this hotel. But in lots of the reviews people complain about the thin walls.

Who knows more? I don´t want to spend all this money and hear the next door neighbor snore all night.

Thank you.

Greetings, Q.

No. California
Level Contributor
448 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

The one person I know who stayed there mentioned hearing noise next door. However the Argonaut is not expensive by San Francisco standards. Unless you move into higher priced (more modern) hotels you may not do much better. What is your budget?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

I don't think that you'll see too many posters rising to either your original posting on the subject or this one, and really wouldn't put a huge amount of faith in responses you receive either telling you that their stay was silent OR equivalent to sleeping in a boiler factory. The problems are that (a) "noisy" is a highly subjective metric, and (b) there's far too many variables to get an ironclad answer.

With regards to the former, people have differing sensitivities to the same sound, and if you're coming from a crowded housing situation, a dense urban environment, a job in a heavy industrial plant, or have a couple of generic teenagers, you'll probably be a lot less to deem a hotel room to be "too noisy" than if you live in a suburban area, spend your days in a sound-dampened office, and/or simply live alone. With regards to the latter, maybe your luck ran out and you happened to be assigned to the room that's nextdoor to the room that unbeknownst to hotel management has been designated as party central to a group of visiting conventioneers, high-schoolers who have pooled their money for a place to hang out after their prom, or me when I decide to reengineer my room at 3 AM. Additionally some rooms may be noiser than others because of their proximity to streets, elevator lobbies, ice machines, or service staff hopper rooms.

I believe that Kimpton Hotels and Restaurants, the operator of the Argonaut was actually actively involved in the renovation and conversion process that built the hotel out of what was once the Haslett Warehouse. Kimpton is a pretty canny operator and although they're not going to throw money away unnecessarily they have enough foresight and experience not to build out a new property that's going to get slammed as being as noisy as a cannery (that's nextdoor).

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

Have you reid calling the hotel? I'm sure they're aware of a. this site and b. the complaints about the thin walls.

If you explained the situation they may be able to work with you.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

After travelling to many destinations and staying at both "high end" and "budget" hotels, I've found that there is no guarantee that you'll end up in a quiet room no matter how much you've paid for it.

My solution: bring a good pair of ear plugs. The soft foam ones work well for me. Unfortunately for me, I am a very light sleeper so they are a must almost everywhere I stay.

southern Germany
Level Contributor
985 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

Hi and thanks to everybody for his/her input.

Yes, I agree, noise is very subjectiv, but I am sure, that I am more on the earplugs side....

I took some time yesterday and checked some more hotels. I found out that it is difficult to find a room with two double beds (teenage son will stay with us) as lots of nice boutique hotels often have

only rooms with one king size bed. And I went throught several

posts on TA reading about the pros and cons of locations.

The Wharf will be fine for us, thinking of the water and beeing close

to things a teenager will like (I guess). SF hotels are very expensive

compared to hotels in our major cities, even to Berlin.

But I finally found a great rate at the HI Express at FW: son is free,

continental Breakfast included and pool of the HI next door can be used. I know that I can´t compare the HI with the Argonaut, but the HI is 65 $ a night less. And still gets good reviews on TA. So hopefully I did the right choice.

Thanks again, I guess I will bring the earplugs anyway

and I am sure I will come up with some more questions about

your wonderful city.

Greetings, Q.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,176 posts
1,818 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

I stayed there last year.

The acoustic is a problem that the hotel is aware of. I could hear people walking down the hallway in the morning. It was a minor inconvenience.

7. Re: ARGONAUT: paper thin walls? Who knows more?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:19