We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Chinese Food?

new york, ny
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Topic
Good Chinese Food?

Can anyone recommed a good restaurant in Chinatown? I know there are tons but they are of varying degrees of quality and authenticy. I have been to Yang Sing (?) and House of Nanking. Looking for something more along the lines of House of Nanking for dinner. Anyone have a favorite? Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
6,338 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Chinese Food?

On my recent visit to San Francisco I had the pleasure of eating at two really good Chinese Restaurants in China Town. I ate at Chef Jia's and at R&G Lounge. Both were really good. I had the most delicious egg roll I've ever eaten @ Chef Jia's and a wonderful spicy shrimp dish @ R&G Lounge. I'm not even sure what it was called because my waiter recommended it when I told him I loved seafood and enjoyed spicy food. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed in either place. I hope this helps!

Southern California
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Chinese Food?

New Asia, Yuet Lee, and New Sun Hong Kong Restaurant are all outstanding!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Chinese Food?

Highly recommend R&G Lounge. It is definitely one of my favorites. Frankly, as far as House of Nanking goes, Chef Jia's (next door) is better and not nearly expensive. Same type of food though.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Chinese Food?

t - I must recommend my all time favorite, Henry's Hunan. The main resaurant is just outside of Chinatown on Sansome St. (easy walk) and they have a couple of others in the Financial District that are mainly for lunch. Great, fresh food, as spicy as you want or not (they have lots of non spicy dishes).

Level Contributor
224 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Chinese Food?

As I and Swing Cha have said many times YEE's on Grant just before Broadway. Lots of food. price is right. Lots of locals. Really lots of food. For example you only need to order one order of wanton soup to feed a family of four. Not sure about dinner only do lunch. I think they have a web site. I dont have time now to look but you can give it a try. At any time you may be the only non asian in hte house.

Level Contributor
224 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Chinese Food?

YEE's 1131 Grant. Phone 415-576-1818

Level Contributor
224 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Chinese Food?

YEE's 1131 Grant. Phone 415-576-1818

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Chinese Food?

I concur with the already-recommended Chef Jia's - R&G Lounge - Yee' s Restaurant

Ate at Yuet Lee not too long ago and found EVERYthing to be excessively salty.

Last time we ate at New Sun Hong Kong it was terrible. We've not had the stomach to return. Has the kitchen changed?

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
63,767 posts
3,727 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Chinese Food?

Dear NY:

For something very different and elegant:

Tommy Toy's Cuisine Chinoise

655 Montgomery St, San Francisco, CA 94111 · 415-397-4888

This is the place that celebrities go to, such as Sharon Stone. The food is a mixture of Chinese and French. This is definitely for the very soiphisticated diner and traveller!

10. Re: Good Chinese Food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 05:25