We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

I just starting research a trip to San Francisco and Yosemite... so any advice or tips would be appreciated. Would spending 4 full days in each area work? We would fly to SF and rent a car. (never been to CA at all) Would an April/May trip or a Sept/Oct trip be better? It seems like spring would be better for the waterfalls in Yosemite.

I am really interested in the natural beauty of the area... the beaches, the sequoias. Any must-see scenic areas? What about stops between the SF and Yosemite? Thanks in advance!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Me again... I assumed that we wouldn't need a rental car until the Yosemite leg, and could use public transportation while in SF, but perhaps there are scenic spots near SF that require a car?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Book your Yosemite reservations well in advance, especially if you are staying in a hotel. If you love to hike 4 days is good. If you don't hike, 4 days is probably too long. I prefer spring for the waterfalls.

I can't think of any must see sights between SF and Yosemite, assuming you are taking the quickest route.

Los Angeles
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Take CA-41 South to Fresno from Yosemite and then East to Kings Canyon National Park and Sequoia National Forest, if you have more time in your four days. It is not far.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

millabird - I agree that April/May will be the time to see the waterfalls. As far as the City of San Francisco weather, Sept/Oct is our hottest time of the year. I have friends visiting now who are getting around on the buses and will get a car in the morning to drive to Yosemite and turn it in at the airport coming back. As far as a car in the City, you can get to the sights in the western part of town on the bus, but a car is helpful, so you may consider getting the car on the last day in the City for visiting the beach and Golden Gate Park.

Alameda, ca
Level Contributor
240 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

April/May you get the waterfalls

September.October you get some fall colors.

But my real advice.....Go mid week, and you won't have to work about crowds.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Millabird is «really interested in the natural beauty of the area»

In that case, you should go down the Cabrillo Highway all the way to San Luís Obispo and, from there, go to Yosemite via Fresno.

Driving Directions with links to relevant maps and URLs of places passed through: San Francisco to Pacifica-Half Moon Bay-Santa Cruz-Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, San Luís Obispo, and Yosemite geocities.com/touringsfo/…DriveDir.html

«Would spending 4 full days in each area work?»

Four is too many for there unless you do a lot of hiking. Four is too few for here: The "Don't-miss SIGHTS in San Francisco" page geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html has enough to keep you busy for nine 12.7-hour days. It includes links to your best sources of advice on WHERE TO EAT and, according to the Department of Health, WHERE TO NOT EAT here, the UseNet Group ba.food, and the quite-good sfSurvey/Tastyr and the comprehensive Yelp. It also has a WEATHER CHART with a link to current conditions.

«use public transportation while in SF»

The FLAG/MAPS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…FlagMaps.html has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, the outstanding WALKER/BICYCLIST map that shows the steepness of our streets. The new version of the formerly superb map created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway has removed many streets' names making it less useful. It's cluttered with our many bus, cable car, street car, and bus routes. There is also a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

«perhaps there are scenic spots near SF that require a car?»

Countless such but they're all "near" here, i.e., outta town.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
150 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Thank you for all the replies! When we spent 3 days in Zion National Park, we wished we had more time. We spent a week in Yellowstone, and wished we had more time. So I didn't want to make the same mistake in Yosemite. We enjoy short day hikes, but no overnight camping.

I saw photos of Muir Woods... that's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Yosemite is amazing. I go there every year. You definitely need to book your lodging in Yosemite as soon as you can. There are few lodging/camping options in the park and they usually book up as soon as they become available. You don't need a car in SF...cabs are easy to get around and hotels charge a lot (like $20-$40 per day) to park a car. So, just rent the car to go to Yosemite. The drive takes about 3 and 1/2 hours. September has beautiful fall colors, but cannot compare to the spectacular waterfalls you will see in the Spring.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

Hi Millabird,

Thats exactly what we did this year. We were there at the start of May and the waterfalls were in full flow. We hired a car from SF and drove to Oakhurst which is at the southern enterance to the park, about 1hr 15mins away from the valley floor. We stayed at a beutiful B&B called the Houndstooth inn.

We didnt stop on route as it was pretty much raining the whloe day and when we got to Yosemite it was sunny! There is so much to see and do in the valley, leave your car at one of the designated car parks and either walk or get the free bus which goes round the valley

you will enjoy!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: San Fran and Yosemite combo trip?

lovescotland enthused «We were [in Yosemite] at the start of May and the waterfalls were in full flow.»

Y'done good!

I was there May 24, when the falls were still full, and June 25 when Bridal Veil had become a trickle.