We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-day itinerary suggestions including bus tour to Monterey

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
5-day itinerary suggestions including bus tour to Monterey

I'll be arriving at the San Francisco Airport around 10:30 am on Sat. 9/1, (immediately dropping our luggage off at the Marriott at 55 Fourth St.) and flying home at 3:30 pm on 9/6. My husband is on a business trip so the only time he'll be with me is on 9/1 and the afternoon of 9/4 (which is also free admission at several museums that day). This may be the only time I'll be in this city so I want to make the most of it. I'm planning on buying a Go San Francisco 5-day pass for myself along with a 7-day muni pass. The pass also includes 40% off the 11-hour Grayhound bus tour to Monterey/Carmel so would cost an additional $39. What I need to know is if it's worth it to take a full day to do this tour, and if there's enough time in Carmel for me to run up to the mission which is also included on the card. Also, is 2 hours at the Monterey Aquarium enough time to warrant the $16 reduced fee if I purchase it through Grayhound? The Go Card includes lots of attractions I'd like to see and I would appreciate suggestions on the best way to plan a 5-day itinerary including all of the following Go Seattle Card attractions if possible and the optional Grayline tour to Monterey/Carmel: Ferry Bldg. Line Cruise (l l/2 hours); Gray Line Trolley Tour with hop-on/off schedule; Historic Cable Car Ride; Haas Lilienthal House tour and Pacific Heights Walking Tour (both need to be back to back on a Sunday); Aquarium of the Bay; Wax Museum at Fisherman's Wharf; Steinhart Aquarium; Conservatory of Flowers; SS Jeremiah O'Brien; Bay City Bike Rentals (possibly rent bike and go across bridge to Sausalito that first day); Exploratorium; de Young Museum; SFMOMA; Legion of Honor; Asian Art Museum; Cartoon Art Museum, Museum of Craft and Folk Art. I'm also interested in visiting the zoo the first Wednesday (free admission), Yerba Buena Gardens (across from our hotel), the Musee Mechanique, Coit Tower and Chinatown and know some of these could be done in the evening after the other attractions close. I'm a tourist who likes to pack a lot of sightseeing into each day so don't mind going into something like the Wax Museum for a quick peek just to say I've been there but spending a few hours at a highly-rated museum. I'm especially worried about getting around on public transportation by myself, knowing what stop to get off, knowing how much travel time to factor into my daily itinerary, etc. Thanks for your help!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-day itinerary suggestions including bus tour to Monterey

«is 2 hours at the Monterey Aquarium enough time to warrant the $16»

I don't think so. Not having a full day for it is too little time.

«I'm especially worried about getting around on public transportation»

Don't be. Ask people at car stops before you board, drivers as you board, and fellow passengers after you've boarded. Forget BART as, other than to/from The Airport getting, it's useless unless you want to leave town.

The FLAG/MAPS page geocities.com/touringsfo/…FlagMaps.html has links to the best on-line MAP of San Francisco, the outstanding WALKER/BICYCLIST map that shows the steepness of our streets. The new version of the formerly superb map created for the San Francisco Municipal Railway has removed many streets' names making it less useful. It's cluttered with our many electric bus, cable car, street car, and Diesel bus routes. The map will enlarge and be centered on where you click. There is also a map of our CABLE CAR ROUTES, our 49-mile SCENIC DRIVE, and a superb map of GOLDEN GATE PARK.

2. Re: 5-day itinerary suggestions including bus tour to Monterey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 07:18