We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from the UK

Great Haywood
1 post
Save Topic
Flights from the UK

We intend to travel to San Francisco in September 2008 flying from Manchester International, UK.

When is the best time to buy flight tickets please?

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from the UK

I've never found it cheaper to wait until the last minute, but advance booking (that far ahead) i don't think would be cost effective either.

I too will be going in September 08 and will probably be booking flights around March.

If you can avoid Chicago, do, but it is often one of the cheaper connection options.

Shelley

Portola Valley...
Level Contributor
163 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from the UK

I'd take a look at Kayak.com and see - fuel is likely to go up so you might want to book soon! No more last minute bargains I fear coming to SF.

If you book earlier you might get a better route - options are Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, maybe LA. I'd take LA if you can get it. We had no problems via Philly last April - but its a big airport and I've heard its overcrowded.

I'd consider going to Amsterdam and then taking KLM to San Francisco - that I find is the best - if Manchester hasn't good flights then go LBA (Leeds and Bradford) to Amsterdam. They have good fares.

Paris is another option - for some reasons my UK relatives think France is not a good place to fly through - but on occasion they've had the cheapest flights. Remember you can always go to Europe on a discount airline like Ryan (Liverpool), Easyjet or Jet2.com (LBA) and then go from there direct to SF.

The great circle route with no break in the middle of America is better - you generally get better service on the overnight flights from San Francisco.

Be warned you may get no food on internal US airlines or have to pay for it - you also can't import fruit into California - so you may have to stash up on food at the airports.

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from the UK

You can go direct from Heathrow (BMI Manchester > London then United direct to SF) - I'm flying back this time via Germany with KLM which is another option.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Lake District
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from the UK

I would try and book direct wherever possible - the flight is pretty long without any stops unless of course you don't mind adding potentially 50% more time on. I looked at the options of cheaper tickets via non-direct flights when we flew in August because the prices to California were sky-high - however decided to bite the bullet in the end as we felt that potential delays and stopover times would make the day too long.

5. Re: Flights from the UK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 10:16