We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tadich Grill or Salt House??

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Tadich Grill or Salt House??

For those that have eaten in both or either one, please give me your comments.

Looking for a Sat. night. Wanted to stay close to Hyatt Embarcadero. Not super expensive or fancy and good local type food!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tadich Grill or Salt House??

Tadich Grill is just three blocks from the Regency's (I presume that's what you mean by "Hyatt Embaracadero") revolving door. The food, service, and value are good and you can't get any more San Francisco than the Tadich.

The Salt House is farther away and, I've heard, quite dear although good.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tadich Grill or Salt House??

Tadich is the oldest restaurant in town, operating in one location or another since the Gold Rush. It's about as untrendy as you can get. Simple broiled or sauteed seafood, probably using the same recipe as 20, 30, 40 years ago. The exact menu depends on what's fresh that day. Service is professional but may be a bit brusque. The crowd is pretty mixed between locals and tourists but may skew more toward out of towners on the weekend. Prices are fair for what you get. It probably won't be the greatest meal you've ever had but it's a nice place with a classic but not stuffy atmosphere.

Salt House opened last year to very good to excellent reviews. It'll be more expensive than Tadich but the food is prepared and presented more inventively. Service will probably be friendlier and better looking than the guy at Tadich who's worked there since the Eisenhower administration. The Salt House crowd is younger, hipper and probably won't include many tourists, except the occasional visiting foodie.

Tough call because they're so different. Both are good SF experiences but they're separated by a century or so.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,698 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tadich Grill or Salt House??

Thanks I was leaning towards Salt House anyway. Looked at menu, yes it is quite expensive, but looks like nice food for the money. And, it offers my all time favorite appetizer that I can't get many places, especially here in Texas!

4. Re: Tadich Grill or Salt House??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 06:23