We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Would be interested to hear what people think is a reasonable amount to tip waiters, bartenders and hotel employees? Will there be a service charge in restaurants? Do not want to offend anyone.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

enter "tipping" in forum search window

link is for all blog items covering tips:

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/category…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,412 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

15-20% of the pre-tax bill is standard in restaurants

In bars tip $1/drink or 10-15% of the bill if running a tab

Bellhop $10 for bringing you to your room with luggage

Doorman $1/bag for help with luggage or finding a taxi on the street

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Restaurant service charge generally won't be included in your bill unless you are part of a large party.

Taxi tip generally around 15%, although I'll tip a lower % on a longer trip or if the driver is a maniac.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

sean420, the $10 bellhop tip seems high to me...and to CNN:

money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/tipping/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

eephus said «Restaurant service charge generally won't be included in your bill unless you are part of a large party.»

When that happens is usually mentioned in the very fine print on the menu. That usually kicks in with parties of six or eight.

BetterthanBings, particularly well-situated to answer the bell-hop question, 'though oft-asked has yet to do so.

As already stated: in bars a buck a drink regardless of whether it's a glass of water or a liqueur.

For meal tabs, I divide the first digit of the amount by two and add it to that first digit then fiddle with the details making the tip somewhere 'tween 12% and 24%: Tab = $24.75 therefore 2/2=1+2=3 so the tip becomes $3.25 leaving the change, a net tip of about 13%. I use the tab's net, not its pre-tax, amount.

Please leave $2 or more per person on your pillow for your room server when you leave for the day.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

13%? SwingCha, I'm disappointed in you.

To me, my standard meal tip is 20% of the net (who has time to nickle-and-dime over tipping on tax?).

It's easy. Just take 10% (move the decimal over one place) and double it. Done deal.

I adjust up or down, as demanded by the service (or lack thereof).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,536 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Easy tipping in California for meals - in San Francisco, tax is 8.25% - just double that for a standard tip 16.5%. A little more or less depending on service, but a good starting point.

Australia
Level Contributor
393 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

whilst we're on tipping....sorry I realise it must be annoying to most Americans to keep going over this...

just in regards to the bellhop/doorman tipping.....and I thought $10 seems a bit steep too! Looked on that CNN link, and they suggested a $1 per bag...BUT I was just wondering is it considered rude or being tight to politely say "we're right with our bags, thanks"....when we are actually fine with carrying our bags, particulary because we'll have backpacks. I just don't want to appear rude if thats not the done thing to do. I'm talking mid range hotels where they would more than likely offer this service....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

FromTheBu said «13%? SwingCha, I'm disappointed in you.»

SwingCha said «For meal tabs … tip somewhere 'tween 12% and 24%: … I use the tab's net, not its pre-tax, amount.»

Lessee: the pre-tax amount of 24.75 is about $22.80. A tip of $3.25 is a bit more than 14%.

Using my formula on 25.25, the tip would be $3.75, about 15% on the net, about 17% on the gross of $22.35.

FromTheBu said «13%? SwingCha, I'm disappointed in you.»

Sometimes m'girlfriend, who spent years as a server in a restaurant, chastizes me for leaving too much.

It varies.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

You can decline the bellman service without any problem in any hotel. It's done quite often and I do it myself. We don't usually say that we're "right" with our bags though. Try simply, "We won't need a bellman, thank you."