We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinatown restaurants

Florida
Level Contributor
701 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Chinatown restaurants

Are there any outstanding restaurants in Chinatown--could be a hole-in-the-wall but with great food? Last time in SF we ate at Yuet Lee. The food was good but didn't knock your socks off.

Ate better Chinese food this past weekend in Arlington, TX, believe it or not! (And I'm not a native Texan but was born and raised in L.A.) I'll be in SF in Dec. Had great dim sum at Canton near Moscone Center a few years back.

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,259 reviews
from US$99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,579 reviews
from US$117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
209 reviews
from US$110.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from US$62.00*
northern california
Level Contributor
637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinatown restaurants

We are big fans of Dim Sum. Sorry, we never eat in Chinatown, maybe someone else can help with that but a great place for Dim Sum is Ton Kiang on Geary Blvd. out about 23rd.Ave. IMHO much better than Canton but a tad more expensive. Lots of variety and freshness for the price. Also if you have a card when you are staying in Berkeley there is a fabulous place for Dim Sum in the Pacific East Mall off of the Central Ave. El Cerrito exit(very close to Berkeley). It is called Asian Pearl. During the week you check off what you want on a menu and on weekend they have the carts and trays.

Florida
Level Contributor
701 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinatown restaurants

Thanks, mrsbab. I know the Pacific East Mall. (I'm actually staying in El Cerrito, not Berkeley.) Could even walk there!

northern california
Level Contributor
637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinatown restaurants

We are regulars there. The price is very low for the quality and variety. It gets really crowded on Sat. and Sun.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,654 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinatown restaurants

Try Sam Wo on Washington St just east of Grant.

I was there a few weeks ago and had a really good experience there. The food is soaked in lard, the waitresses are totally rude, food is delivered through a dumbwaiter which looks as ancient as the place (it's been there for over 100 years!!!), and if you're lucky the waitress will just yell your order down the dumbwaiter.

Conan O' Brien visited there not too long ago for one of his shows and it was hilarious.

You will totally be ignored when entering and will sit an indefinite time until even being acknowledged. This place is an urban landmark.

Florida
Level Contributor
701 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinatown restaurants

Our Yuet Lee experience was similar, but the food wasn't soaked in lard. It was kind of hilarious.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chinatown restaurants

I've had good dim sum in the East Bay... Hong Kong East Ocean, on the water in Emeryville was good last time I went in 2005... sorry no update lately.

Peony in Oakland Chinatown is good, very clean...sorry no one will yell at you either.

In SF Chinatown. R&G Lounge is sort of the default rec. It is very good, their crab is to die for (December is the best time for local crab, by the way!). Great Eastern is good as well. These are pricier...

For a different experience, Jai Yun, is a basic hole in the wall, that is SO unique, it's worth a try. Basically you chose what you want to spend... like $25 a person up to $200 a person or something like that... and the chef takes over. The dishes come out one after another until you've tried all the chef wants you to try... it's a Northern Banquet, made with ingredients that the chef bought that day, whatever is in season, fresh, whatever looks good to the chef at the market Give it a try if you want something different. Don't be alarmed if the wait staff doesn't speak English... just tell them a dollar amount, sit back and wait for your Imperial Feast!

BTW, my uncle tells me the story about Sam Wo's building is kinda unique. The building has no walls of its own. It was hastily built after the 1906 earthquake when building permits were issued freely, so the building is basically some floors attached to the walls of the neighboring buildings. It would never be approved if inspected anytime after 1908... The dumbwaiter must have been installed about the same time! The waiter was hired a few years after that! It's definitely a place I like to go when my cholesterol gets too low.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,654 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chinatown restaurants

well, soaked in lard might be an exaggeration, but it was a little oily.

I forgot to mention if you go there get the Roast Pork Rice Noodle Roll. They are awesome

northern california
Level Contributor
637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chinatown restaurants

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Mr.Chinn but Hong Kong East Ocean was horrible and expensive when we were there a few months ago. I believe that they survive because of the awesome view. If you haven't been there yet, check out Asian Pearl next time you are in the East Bay.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Chinatown restaurants

You will probably enjoy Chef Jia's on Kearny Street near Pacific Avenue. Do not make the mistake of going to the place at the left with a line of mal-informed tourists.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chinatown restaurants

ca- In the City I highly recommend Henry's Hunan Restaurant (3 locations,2 just outside of Chinatown and 1 South of Market) for great fresh food. They can make a dish as hot as you want or totally mild with great flavor. In the East Bay, try Bay Fung Tong Seafood and Tea House at 1916 Franklin St (downtown Oakland near the 19th St BART). Great seafood and also all of the meat and veggie dishes. Absolutely great.