We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the 18 mile drive?

North East, England
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
the 18 mile drive?

could you please explain to me what the 18 mile drive is? is it worth hiring a car for the day to do it? we are in sf for 5 nights end of july.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the 18 mile drive?

hmm....I could be wrong but I have never heard of an 18 mile drive in San Francisco. There is however a 17 mile drive in Carmel (check out website: http://www.beachcalifornia.com/17mile.html). Carmel and San Francisco are apx. 2 hours from each other.

nyc
Level Contributor
173 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the 18 mile drive?

It is the "17 Mile Drive" in carmel and it is definately worth going to.

Carmel and Big Sur (below Carmel) have some of the loveliest scenery you will ever see.

And Carmel si a great town to walk an explore.

North East, England
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the 18 mile drive?

thanks for that. do you think it is best to go ona bus trip there? or should we hire a car?

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the 18 mile drive?

Carmel and Monterey are near the 17 mile drive and are both very very much worth visiting.

IMO, I find the 17 mile drive nicest on a bicycle. A bicycle is also a fun way to zip in and about Monterey and Carmel too.

If it gets too hot out there, you could even hire a kayak and paddle out about sea otters and so forth.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the 18 mile drive?

oh yah. Yes. Hiring a car is preferred over a bus. The freedom and independence to linger about any particular thing that fascinates you is worth a lot. You might even see some good fresh fruit stands along the highway or something...a bus isn't going to stop there. It'll be berry season. yum.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the 18 mile drive?

Perhaps you are thinking of the "49-mile drive" which is a route around different notable spots in San Francisco. Here's a link I found that might help: theinsider.com/SF/Attractions/49miledrive.htm .

I could understand how easy it is to mix the two drives up... that is, assuming I happen to be right about what you're looking for. :)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: the 18 mile drive?

A personal opinion here - don't bother with the 17 mile drive, it's not worth the $15 toll (? I can't remember the exact amount) to drive past a collection of golf course entrances and some suburban housing. Yes there are a couple of nice ocean front places too but most of the drive is through housing.

BUT do hire a car and visit Carmel (nice town) and the Point Lobos State park on the other side of the bay from Peeble Beach instead.

North East, England
Level Contributor
649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the 18 mile drive?

thanks all!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
3,705 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the 18 mile drive?

I dusted off my trusty Frommer's California book because I remembered an alternative - and free! - scenic route to the 17-Mile Drive. Consider taking a spin on Scean View Boulevard in Pacific Grove. Start just north of Cannery Row in Monterey and follow the Pacific until you reach the lighthouse. At that point, the road turns into Sunset Drive which runs along Asilomar State Beach. I suppose if admiring some of the most extravagant homes in the country is your cup of tea, then the 17-mile drive is worth it. Otherwise, you may enjoy this route.

:)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,382 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the 18 mile drive?

I live in Pacific Grove, and I agree that the ride along Ocean View Blvd. is very nice. However, it's a very short ride. While parts of 17-Mile-Drive take you by huge, expensive homes, other parts are definitely worth the trip. Seal Rock, the Lone Cypress, the amazing trees, etc. are unusual and worth seeing, I think. And if you're lucky enough to get a sunny day, there is nothing more beautiful on earth than seeing the sun streaming through the trees in Pebble Beach. You can easily put aside any feelings you might have about paying to get into where "the rich folks" live when you see how beautiful Pebble Beach is. That's my opinion, anyway. Whatever you decide, have a great trip.