We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

Does anybody know of anywhere in San Francisco that sells more unusual meats?

Not looking for raw meats, rather anything from a restuarant that has entrees incorporating such meats all the way to cooked burgers/sandwiches.

It'd be nice to try some different and more US-Centric meats on my holiday if possible!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

I don't think so. You may find some place that gives you a "buffalo burger", but I wouldn't trust that it didn't come from an ordinary cow. Yes, I understand that bison are being raised for meat. For shame. The Indiansa and we all but killed them off, now we are raising them for meat? Sheesh.

You know? we don't kill alligators in the US for meat. And the only people who eat elk are the hunters in Wyoming and Montana, who put it up for the winter. It is not a "restaurant specialty". In very rare cases you may find some venison...but I think you have to be in the mountain states.

OH. I have a great local western states specialty for you. It is called "mountain oysters". Look it up. I love them.

And BY THE WAY...this is a 'put-on', right?

On the Lonely Planet Thorntree Forum you would be accused of being a "troll".

That's oksy, I get to "troll" you back. <giggle>

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

I think I replied to the wrong message...erase, erase.

Your question was very direct, and I evidently got it mixed up with somebody who wanted to eat buffalo.

Mea cupla, mea culpa and many apologies.

I lived in Cambridge for a year and your lamb is so much better than ours, so don't try that.

I think you need to do seafood, especially Dungeness crab, which will probably not be in season when you are here.

From my experience in Cambridge I think we do better in beef, especially in delicious rare, tender steaks, if you are into that.

Looking at your topic, maybe I did not respond inappopriatey in the first place.

This forum does not allow you to view the entire thread when you are replying. Which can make for confusion.

Are you listening...trip advisor? I can view the entire thread on Fodor's and Frommer's and Thorntree (Lonely Planet) and then do a conversation, not just an answer to one post.

FIX IT, please.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

Your screen name is vaguely familiar to me, so I don't believe you are a troll, OpaqueEntity!

You will probably be able to find buffalo burgers, but sorry not sure where. Buffalo is becoming increasingly popular in the US since it is *very* low fat, yet still tastes good. The US raises many hundreds of thousands for meat in today's world. It is available in many grocery stores. Although bison is the proper name, it's usually referred to as buffalo.

Elk is eaten in many fine restaurants, but it is true it is more of a mountain state or Northwest specialty. The same goes for venison (deer). Deer is farm raised in the US (think beef cattle on a much smaller scale), but elk is still wild.

Alligator? Sure don't think so, lol!

Although not what you might think of as a "USA" product, you may find emu and ostrich at a fine restaurant, as they are farm raised for meat here.

Do try Dungeness crab and real *wild* fresh salmon from the Pacific Northwest or Alaska. Not farm-raised salmon. And Yaquina Bay oysters if you can find somewhere that has them.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

I have actually had alligator at CreoLa, a cajun restaurant in San Carlos. It definitely was not exciting enough to warrant the drive.

http://www.creolabistro.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

bellagreen said «I have actually had alligator at CreoLa»

So have I and agree with your opinion. There's a street vendor in Oakland who serves it but, other than at fairs and festivals, I don't know where. It's much better'n what you get at CreoLa.

Cambridge, UK
Level Contributor
426 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

Thanks for the replies :)

No definately not trolling :P

I asked as when I was researching Chicago (where I am before getting to SF) I found a burger place (too far) outside the city that imported different meats such as Alligator from Texas etc and sold unusual burgers totally depending on what he could get seasonally from around the country.

I like trying different meats, with the growth of farmers markets in this area I've had some lovely venison and ostrich. In the past I've had kangaroo as well which was amazingly good.

Sounds like I'll just have to keep my eyes open and hope I get lucky!

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

For the famous Buffalo Stew, don't miss Tommy's Joynt at the corner of Geary and Van Ness. It's worth it for the grat and err... special atmosphere.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

typo... great.

Near Disneyland
Level Contributor
724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

I don't know if it's the same in SF but most Brazilian BBQ places should have alligator meat on their menus. I checked Mapquest.com and came up with a few places you can check out and Google for more info:

List of Brazilian restaurants

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/1-wXCiTkQYk7ULMvq7Plg*

Espetus Churrascaria

www.opentable.com/rest_profile.aspx?rid=3899

Espetus doesn't offer alligator but has plenty of items for the meat lover. The only place in California I've seen Buffalo served up is down in the Los Angeles area on Catalina Island. They've got buffalo burgers at their airport cafe. Never tried one but as they say with all unusual meats it probably "tastes like chicken."

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unusual Meats - Bison, Alligator,elk etc! Ideas?

"Tastes like chicken", LOL! Actually buffalo tastes like beef, only a bit milder, IMO. Now rattlesnake, that tastes like chicken :-) Hey, OpaqueEntity, there's a thought - but not sure you can find rattlesnake in restaurants?

I tried doing a Google search for elk, restaurants, SF, and did come up with a TA review of a place called "Boulevard", wherein a reviewer mentioned "elk chop".

Thanks to above posters for info about alligator. I love learning interesting stuff like this!