We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Pals...this is my first time with lobster and want to remember it with a smile in my face...

Where to go for great lobster?? San Francisco or on my way to Glen Ellen, Sonoma?

Pls, advice soon... I am leaving on the 17th of April!

best! Andy

Oakland, California
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
6,323 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Well, I'll be honest with you- this ISN'T the place for great lobster. We're famous for Dungeness crab, so I'd recommend you try some of that instead. The east coast of the US is where the great fresh lobster is found.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Yes, since lobster has to be flown in the the East Coast it is also very expensive.

Go for the Dungeness crab, as suggested. This is a San Francisco specialty.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Yeah, Andy... wrong coast. Our lobster's out here are either flown in from the East Coast, or you'll get a spiny lobster (a warm water lobster) probably from Mexico or flown in. Spiny lobster can be good, but it doesn't have the huge claws that an East Coast (Maine) lobster.

So not many places around here have good East Coast style lobster. If you do find a place that has live ones flown in they'll be over $40.

A place I just saw reviewed on Check Please (a local show) claims to have authentic New England lobster is called Old Port Lobster Shack. I think it looked good. They have tanks of live lobsters (so they can get over their jet lag!) There's one located on Green Street. One in Napa as well. Never tried it, but looks good, I might give it a try. They said it was $33 for a whole lobster, not bad.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
322 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

People, you are just great! thanks for teaching me the lobster's route... I did not know...

Fortunately for lobster's sake, I am flying to NYC on the 28th of April, and will try to ask the same lobster question in NYC forum...

You know... lobster is one of the few things I have never tried in my life... worth the effort I guess...

regards! Andy

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

I live in NY you will get 1000 answers. Almost all restaurant has great seafood and fresh lobster - but very expensive. I'll give you a list of a few of my favs it you want. Stay away from City Island its gotten too commercial over the last few years. The real place to go for reasonable great lobster is outside of Boston, Mass

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
860 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Take a detour to Maine if you want great lobster. lol. But seeing SF is probably up at the top of my list of favorite cities I agree with the previous poster. Get the crab, they are awesome.

Stockton, CA
Level Contributor
229 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

Years ago I had fresh lobster on a visit to Maine. It was very plentiful and very inexpensive. I shipped a dozen of them home for my family. The shipping charges were more expensive than the lobster!

8. Re: Gourmet advice needed on lobster

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 19:17