We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

We've narrowed down our search to the Marriott or Campton Place Hotels. However, I read in the reviews that the bathrooms at the Marriott are very small and tight even for one person. Can anyone confirm this. Also read that Campton Place is a beautiful boutique hotel but lacks amenities. Does anyone know what amenities it lacks? Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Are you talking about the "JW" Marriott, on Post and Mason, or the other Marriotts?

The bathrooms at the JW Marriott, in my opinion, are to die for. Marble, with a large marble soaking tub, separate shower, chrome and mirrors vanity and sink area with a tiny tv to distract you from shaving, or whatever.

They are not huge, but my husband and I have no trouble using them together. It is, in my opinion, one of the features of my favorite hotel in San Francisco.

The rooms are spacious.

The lobby is classy as well, with its glass elevators soaring up to the top in open space with the rooms around the edge. There is a fountain with statues of more than life size dancing ladies a la the Monet painting.

I have not stayed at the Campton Place, so cannot comment, but I prefer the location of the JW.

If I could afford it, however, I would be at the Mandarin Oriental, for what it is worth.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Yes, the JW Marriott. One of the tripsters' stated the hotel bathoom was tiny. And I was understandably a little worried. We are staying at a luxury B&B in Napa for 3 days so thought we would stay at a more reasonably priced hotel in SF. The Marriott and Taj must be having a "sale" because the daily rate I got at both was $215.00. THe Mandarin Oriental had a weekend rate of $560.00. Figured we would be out early until late - so the choice was easy. But I gather you like the Marriott and that we will be very happy there. By the way how's the parking. We thought we would keep the car for an extra day and take a trip to Carmel.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Hmm, I'm not sure what amenities the Campton Place lacks--maybe a pool is what they were referring to?

I stayed there in January and liked it quite a bit. But my taste runs toward smaller boutique hotels so I don't mind the lack of amenities like a pool.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

San Francisco hotels do not usually have pools. The most upscale certainly do not.

The weather precludes swimming. The Handlery has a pool, the Nikko has a pool. There is one in the financial district which is, or used to be, a Holiday Inn, which has a pool.

A pool in San Francisco is not usually considered an "amenity"

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

I don't know if either of them have a pool, and wasn't planning on using it if they did, but many reviewers said Campton Place lacked "amenities" which seemed strange for a Taj property. This seemed to be what lowered their rating. I generally prefer luxury "boutique" (synonymous with small) hotels and I was wondering what "lack of amenities" possibly meant. Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Parking at the JW Marriott is going to be pricey, as it will at all hotels. The least expensive charge $29 and it can go up to $50.

Some people do their 'side trips' at the beginning, before staying in the city, and then turn the car in.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Figured we'd wouldn't want to drive from Napa to Carmel and a stop at SF seemed to make sense?? Then depending on how we feel we could go to Carmel and maybe even Big Sur? Does that make sense?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

it all makes sense. You just need to decide where you want to be and when.

A Carmel trip and down Big Sur really asks for an overnight trip, in my opinion, although there are those who would tell you that you can do it in a day trip.

I would not.

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

Puter - I posted a thank you to you for catching Marriott's mistake, and thus securing us an free upgrades. You're awesome.

Second, rethinking it, I sure your right - again! Since we are dividing our trip between SF & Napa, we will probably have to skip Big Sur and just do a day trip to Carmel.

10. Re: Differences between JW Marriott or Campton Place Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 09:17