We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

1st day.

We’d both been poorly for a week or so and mrs. Tom had been put on steroids, so we both felt like sh*t to travel haha, wasn’t gonna put us off though….

Woke up before 6am alarm went off, got ready and set off for airport, we had to see check-in agent as we hadn’t been able to book in online and the machine at the airport wouldn’t let us either. Got boarding cards for all our flights. NCL-AMS-MSP-SFO. And were through security before 8am. Saw my brothers’ / wifes & friends plane take off for their day trip to Dublin. An hours journey away, we had 17+ hours to do. Don’t think about it haha.

Flight to AMS on time ( pleased as on our last USA trip it wasn’t and we missed the connection and spent 27 hours in schipol!) had couple of free drinks and had an hour to get across schipol for the next flight, it was delayed and we were still the last to get on.

Had wine and pretzels (don’t like them things, we want nuts!) and tried to watch 2 films but dozed off during them both.

Got a few more wines and the crew weren’t too friendly or polite but I didn’t care!

Felt a lot of pain in neck/shoulder, back and leg but coped. Mrs Tom just curled up and died for the flight. the journey wasn’t a pleasure….

Coming down in2 the twin cities of Minneapolis/st. paul , twins??? Wot twins eh? Never knew that!! There was snow all over and a frozen lake….what’s that all about? We want heat!

Both went to toilets after landing and I was out 1st, security guard came over and asked to see my passport and green card. I didn’t have them ( I lose everything) so said “they’re in toilet with wife”. “sit there and don’t move” I was told! Mrs came out and was asked “ this your husband?” then 3 of them took me away for questions…

“why ru here?” “holiday”. “how much money have you brought?” “ $50” , plus nationwide cashpoint card, credit cards) I had trouble explaining how the nationwide card works) “have you taken narcotics?” “what are narcotics?” “cocaine, crack,heroin……”.on & on he listed them. “no” I answered truthfully “ but I drink”

“how old are you?” “how old do I look, go on have a guess” they told me they weren’t joking!

I said I’ve had 5 bottles of wine on the plane and they said ru sure it wasn’t 5 gallon vats!!!

Anyhow to cut a long story short we eventually got to immigration/customs?, where we had more questions at the finger print place. Didn’t expect to get in the country, but we did! Got cases put on re-check carousel and went to a pub to relax/recover from our ordeal. Had 2hrs layover but 1 had gone already, anyhow san fran plane was delayed. Had 1 drink then onto plane, flew over more snow and hit bad headwinds. Due to arrive SFO 8.30pm , or 4.30am our time?

Got talking to a lovely girl from SF, 28 yr old L. we had a gr8 laugh. Mrs T slept all the way she wasn’t well at all. She gave me info on SF and you are a neat writer L! sorry I lost your email address to meet up with u, but I found it when we got home in a book I’d taken to read and never read a single page!

Heard it was easy to get the BART to hotel so gave it a go, got off powell st. and asked some cops where the union square plaza hotel was. Walked for ages and ended up in the tenderloin!!!! It was like dawn of the dead , beggers & tramps shuffling towards us like zombies!!!! We rushed into a takaway with a security guard for safety!!!

Decided to give up (not like us at all) and got a taxi to hotel, checked in and then went for a drink. Gave to 2 beggers and 1 showed us to an irish pub which had a singer on who looked like a drag artist. Not too sure tho, we’d been travelloing a while haha.

Only had one drink then off to bed midnight or 8am our time.............shattered

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

Orthographically odd and schadenfreudenly amusing.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

thanx swing, hope that's a compliment???!!!

there's another 10 days to go yet.....then onto vegas.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

DAY 2

Slept til 1pm when a LOUD fire engine woke us up!!! Is there no consideration for us pooly, aching, jetlagged people ?? we were so tired but wanted to get bodyclocks sorted so walked through union sq. (plenty of designer shops to visit later), down market st to the embarcadero.that’s a funny looking sculpture/water feature opposite isn’t it?

Along from pier 1, to pier 39 where I had clam chowder in a bread bowl….so the journey was worth it after all haha. Saw the famous seals ( or are they lions?), they’re noisy things aren’t they eh? then went to fishermans wharf. It was ok there , but not wot we expected (wot did we expect??? Dunno!!) Mrs. T still not too well but wanted to keep going so we walked, yes up that big hill, to Lombard st. how good is that eh? Wonked our way down it and onto Nob Hill. Called at the famous subway shop haha for a sandwich….oh we know how to eat out. Got the footlong for $5!!!! How much?? Dirt cheap but we still couldn’t eat it all between us!!! Think we’ve got gut-rot off the airplane food.

Back to hotel about 8pm and mrs T went to bed, I watched telly then went out for some water (dunno how our guts would react to your water the state they’re in LOL)

While searching very very hard for a shop, I managed to find a couple of pubs and it would’ve been rude not to call in them…….got home (hotel) about midnight, bath and bed.

DAY 3

Up and out by 11am (how early?) got the hop on/ hop off bus tickets and went to Fishermans’ Wharf where I had crab cakes and chips (fries)….luvly. so the journey was worth it eh?

Back onto bus and did the loop. Got off in china town and walked through it. It’s one of the largest china towns we’ve been to.

Then we walked up a steep bank, and I mean STEEP and up loads of steps to coit tower. Did the lift to the top ( too many people in there invading your body space haha). Fantastic views over the city. Took loads of pics today. Back down more steps, not the way we went up, to the financial district onto market st.

Got some snacks and pop (soda) , which leaked in the bag, \soaking and stickying everything. Hopefully we saved the camcorder!?

Wandered back to the hotel and our legs and feet were killing us so we lay on bed……and woke up at 11pm. Popped out to the deli for food/drink and back to bed aching from head to toe……..but we’ll struggle on haha

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

tomthecat complained «our legs and feet were killing us so we lay on bed……and woke up at 11pm. Popped out to the deli for food/drink and back to bed aching from head to toe»

Sounds like a proper visit! Wail on!

You will find nothing better to drink here than what comes out of our faucets.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

"dawn of the dead" ... very good!!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

Funny trip report, what airline did you fly with, just wondering as im going to SF via Amsterdam with KLM later this year.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

kezza, it was KLM, but the only flite with em was newc-ams, then they put u on NWA plane. ru flying fro edin-ams, then where? we flew , newc-ams-minneapolis-san fran. on way back it was via detroit.

i kno its the long way, but it's the cheapest! (how?)

anyhow da gud thing is that the drinks r free!! hic, from uk to ams to first port of call in USA, then the internal flight, it's £2.50 a drink.....how much!!!!???? lol

cheers..... tom

ps. was gonna give up doing our SF trip Rep and just move straight on to las vegas, but u and pha have given me the urge to finish it. nice to know sumone's bothered to read it!

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

oh, and swing.......but stil dunno if he/she's being too critical or sarcastic or fussy or........blah,blah,blah

well, does my face look bothered??? haha

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

Coffee's too hot & beer's too cold.

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st day TR.....getting to san francisco!!!

great review so far...continue please....