We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

earthquake

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
earthquake

I just heard about the earthquake in Reno, Nevada. I realize that is in a different state, but was wondering if there had been any problems in San Francisco. When they talk about "the big one" I can't help but get nervous.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: earthquake

More people have been killed by heat in Phoenix than Earthquakes in San Francisco since the founding of each.

A visit to the TouringSFO page ABOUT EARTHQUAKES

<http://geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/SAndreas.html> will either ease your mind or infuse your heart with terror.

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: earthquake

Don't worry. I have consulted my crystal ball and it says that there will be no significant earthquakes for the next few weeks. The stock market, however, will take a sharp downturn on May 14 (probably in the mid-morning) and big hair should be coming back in style by 2010 at the latest.

Tornadoes, horrible freezing winters, climate change, Jerry Springer, and those fumes from your Acura are all much scarier things to contemplate. We've all got our reinforced foundations, thank you very much. Those kool-aid drinkers that live in the marina are just asking for the trouble they will get when the Pacific Plate starts breakdancing under their bay-fill "land."

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: earthquake

Without reading the paper or watching the news on TV, no one in the Bay Area would have even known about the earthquake(s)in Reno. We are due for the "big one" here sometime during the next 20 years, according to the experts, so there is always that slight possibility you might be here when it hits. But seriously, you have the same odds of getting caught in a tornado while visiting the Midwest, or being swept away in a flash flood during rainy season in your neck of the woods. I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: earthquake

Just crossed the San Andreas Fault twice in the last few hours. It was calm and covered by placid blue waters with hardly a ripple. Ceanothus, cardamine, and fiddleheads are in bloom. The sun is shining, there's a slight breeze, and it's finally warm for a change.

I was in a Dodge Avenger. What I was supposed to be avenging, I don't know.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: earthquake

LovemyAcura - if you want to hedge your bet while you are here - don't stay near the water - it's all landfill and will take the brunt of it when the big one hits.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,586 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: earthquake

LovemyAcura,

Before I write this, I love my Acura too. It is a 1990 Integra, bright red, and has over 75,000 miles on it. It works just fine and is zippy and fun to drive, and gets great mileage. Actually, however, the muffler is rattling a little.

Never mind. The guys (I hope they were not gals) have been funning you.

Our son lives in Reno, and it was not, and, is not, fun. Lots of aftershocks, since Friday. One of his dogs is spooked, the other one is indifferent. He is 3 miles from the epicenter but has had not structural damage to the house.

We went through the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, 5 miles from the epicenter. Santa Cruz lost a lot of buildings downtown and a lot of houses went off their foundations in this area, including Watsonville. Our own house lost a large window and had wallboard cracks and we lost a lot of crockery and everything in the pantry fell down. The aftershocks were so scary that when we had to go to Washington DC three weeks later I had to leave a museum because it was in an old building and the upper floor was creaky and wiggling. Almost Panic Attack.

Have I scared you? I hope not. Since we have already had this trauma just 10 years ago you are going to be perfectly fine and safe. We already, as far as I am concerned, had "The Big One", at least for now.

Ask me if I would travel to the east coast or the midwest during tornado or hurricane season. NO WAY.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: earthquake

The quakes in Reno (200 miles away) are on a completely unrelated fault system. Just the same, there is always the potential from the San Andreas, Hayward, or several others, that we live with, and over. Who would have predicted an earthquake in Southern Illinois? Fear not! It's all out of our control. Other natural disaster threats seem so much more intimidating. Everyone should experience at least one earthquake in their lives. It adds to life experience.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: earthquake

We're all going to die eventually. Why spend your life in fear of things you can't control?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: earthquake

Ha - you guys are funny. Alright we'll come and have fun. If our number is up, then I guess its up. For some reason the thought of an earthquake has always scared me more than anything.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,586 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: earthquake

Earthquakes are, actually, kind of fun, if they are minor...Your world moves and you say "hey what was that?" Then you realize you just experienced another mild earthquake. Later you may notice that pictures on your walls may have listed a little to the right or left.

As I said before.......please, God, keep me away from the hurricane or tornadoes.