We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

quiet hotel in the city?

florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
quiet hotel in the city?

That's the highest priority for us. We're light sleepers and are used to virtual silence at home, so that aspect of traveling is always tough for us. We'd love spacious room/bathroom and great view also, but quiet is most impt of all. Can spend up to about $350 per night. I'm hoping that knowledgeable people can recommend a good place for us-- a hotel that'd likely be quiet both from outside noise and also noise between rooms. I've read reports in the hotel section, but not many people speak to this detail. Many thanks!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,141 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

Seems like ear plugs might be in order.

Though if I were searching for such hotels - I think I'd pick newer hotels as their sound insulation (I would assume) would be greater.

I'd also pick a hotel that was either a bit off the beaten path - or a tower that is high above it all.

With those two criteria in mind, the two options that would fit for me would be either Hotel Vitale (newer and on the Embarcadero) or the Intercontinental (brand new and tall).

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

Hotel Drisco:

www.jdvhotels.com/drisco/

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d8098…

Hotel Majestic

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d81416-R…

http://www.thehotelmajestic.com/

Hotel Bijou if you ask for a room not facing the street www.hotelbijou.com/ : tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d8092… (review date Apr 4, 2008)

florida
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

Am looking into these suggestions. Thanks! (I do travel with earplugs, btw. They help some.)

Hawaii
Level Contributor
327 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

I'm a light sleeper as well and I tried using earplugs but they are annoying as I can hear the rustling sound in my ears on my pillow which keeps me up more, lol!

I use a sound machine which produces white noise (sort of like a fan being on) and it really has helped. The best one IMO is the Marpac brand. We live in the suburbs and I also use it to drown out noises when the neighbors have parties.

4170 Sunset Lane...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

I go to San Francisco often and think the best for price, location and quiet is the Parc 55 on Cyril Magnin Avenue (near Union Square) - get a room in the tower, highest floor available. The design of the floors keep most of the rooms away from the elevators/ice machines - just make sure you request a room NOT above the cross street perpendicular to Cyril Magnin as it can be noisy! You didn't mention if you were traveling as a couple but the White Swan Inn (near Union Square) has a king bed room with fireplace in the back overlooking a garden - lovely!!

6. Re: quiet hotel in the city?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 13:20