We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Topic
2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

Hi,

We are looking to spend 2 weeks in San Francisco in August 2008 and need some help.

We are travelling from the UK and need to know if there are any deals around this time and if so where do I find these?

Can you recommend any hotels for a family of three, son aged 12.

What's the weather like in August and is it a really busy period???

We can not wait to see San Francisco

Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

For two weeks, and with an almost teen-age boy you might be interested in a suite type accommodation. The following has kitchens and some units have a separate living room with a sofa bed, I believe. The location is good, as it is near Union Square.

http://www.grosvenorsuites.com/

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

DancingQueen29 asked «What's the weather like in August»

There's a temperature chart at the bottom of the DON'T-MISS SIGHTS IN SAN FRANCISCO page at geocities.com/touringsfo/Articles/Sights.html

«and is it a really busy period???»

Rather.

Your name indicates you should peruse the SPECIAL DANCING AND MUSIC page at http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

I'll be around in August to dance with you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

SwingCha writes: "Your name indicates you should peruse the SPECIAL DANCING AND MUSIC page at http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html"

We are also visiting in Aug. (12-19th) I couldn't find anything listed for August. Does San Francisco have anything similar to Chicago's SummerDance?

UK
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

Hey,

Thanks for your replies, I'll certainly look into them.

The flights to SF are coming up from £680+ each and I was wondering if it would be cheaper to fly to LA and then catch an internal flight.....any suggestions????

Or maybe fly to somewhere else in California before I catch an internal flight........

Cheers

Kentucky
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

I almost always stay at the Marriott Airport, it's very clean, right on the water, and not terribly priced for San Francisco, considering a stay downtown would be double their amount. If transportation is a consideration for you though, downtown would be better, you could use public transp. and it would be very helpful. August is warm, but there's always a breeze off the bay that can cool it down. I do hope your trip will allow you some time to venture up and down the state of California, there's so much to see.

Have fun!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

The SPECIAL DANCING AND MUSIC page at http://geocities.com/dancefest/Specials.html

elginrm1 said «We are also visiting in Aug. (12-19th) I couldn't find anything listed for August.»

That's because, at the top of the page, it says "MAY – JUNE – JULY". Next month it'll say "JUNE – JULY – AUGUST". There won't be much for August in June but there'll be more as August approaches. You may see what happened last August by clicking the "2007" link near the top of the page. You could also look at any of the dance-specific calendars.

«Does San Francisco have anything similar to Chicago's SummerDance?»

Not familiar with an event of that name. There's Swing City Chicago in October and Richard Palmer's The Chicago Classic in March. Each is on the DanceFest calendar linked to the Special Events page.

In March we have San Francisco Open DanceSport Championships; Nora's Tango Week is in July; October are Boogie by the Bay and San Francisco Autumn Dance Classic and Sundance Stompede; in November are San Francisco Bay Area Salsa Congress and San Francisco Balboa Festival

There are three events on the calendar named "Summer" but no "Summer Dance". Tell me 'bout it by clicking at left and then "Send Message".

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

Hotel suggestion - Seal Rock Inn, it is not downtown but by the ocean. The weather is not always the best by the ocean, (fog), but if you are around for 2 weeks you are sure to catch it. There is a good bus to the area. Nice place to chill for a 12 year old. Near Golden Gate Park.

Make sure to go into the park on a sunday - near the conservatory where they block off cars. Get fun, people watching, etc.

8. Re: 2 weeks in San Francisco - please help....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 01:16