We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Deos anyone know of a reputable rental car company in SFO that offers good rates for a longer term rental - say 3-4 weeks? We are looking to rent a car on arrival in SFO and probably drop it off in Las Vegas or Los Angeles.

We just need a compact car but don't want to 'break the bank' especially as we won't be using the car some of this time while hiking.

Many thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Try this website first to compare prices:

/www.carrentals.com/

Also compare that with hotwire.com. They will not offer you name until full payment is made.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
94 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

...A less expensive alternative is;

www.rent-a-wreck.com/

Do get insurance since you are from out of town. If you pay with AMEX or a visa and Mastercard platinum, they will sometimes cover liability in most countries. check with your credit companies.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Try Fox Rental which is off site at the airport. I am sure they have a courtesy car. They have cheap prices. Also City Car Rental - locally owned, sometimes good prices.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
638 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Just make sure when you are comparing costs that you are comparing like minded. e.g. insurances included and one way drop off fee if applicable included.

I have looked at lots of different companies for our 3 week hire and many of them didnt include the one way hire. I have ended up going with Avis, and booked them here in NZ, it ws cheaper to book them here than it was via the US site. The cost includes insurance, GPS, one way drop off. And with it being Avis we have plenty of choice of pick up and drop off points and also a good reputable company.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

You may want look at Alamo. www.alamo.com

Burlington, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

We toured CA for 2 weeks and we used Alamo and were very happy with the rental. It fit our needs perfectly. If you drop off at another location there's a fee involved.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
160 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Many thanks to you all for your helpful advice. Sorry about the slow response. We have tweaked our itinerary in the meantime and will now be picking up our rental car in Palm Springs so that changes the options. Agree with our fellow Kiwi travellers that we are probably just as well of booking with Avis or one of the larger companies.

Thanks again...

Canberra
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Not sure if you still are after recommendations... If you are, I use America Car Rental or www.drive-usa.co.uk. Benefits for foreigners is that they include all taxes and insurance, i.e. no more to pay other than fuel. Also, they offer one way rentals between California and Nevada at no cost.

Hong Kong
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

I just rent a car today for 28 days (max) from Dollars and it is cheaper than the other rental car companies which I have called around. It is better to reserve the car ASAP as the price is getting higher!!!

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Car Rental for 3 weeks

Bradj - I have seen you have name checked 'America Car Rental' & www.drive-usa.co.uk in numerous posts

I was on their websites and they look a little 'sparse' but with definite good deals.

My question is - are they really legit as I am sceptical - anyone else used them before?

Just dont want to get my fingers burned!