We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

T- 2 days

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
T- 2 days

Oh my gosh, after 9 months planning and numerous visits to this wonderful forum there is only 48 hours until my flight leaves London bound for your wonderful city. I have found the posts entered invalueable, even though I haven't asked many questions myself (slightly scared of Swingcha!)but would just like to run through a (very) rough itinary. Arrive Tuesday afternoon, booked into Serrano Hotel @ Union Square. Spend afternoon and evening strolling around the square, don't wanna do too much as the jetlag will be kicking in. Wednesday-visit Golden Gate park and Lands End (will take a picnic to eat in park)evening meal and drinks in Union Square. Thursday-spend day around Chinatown and Fishermans Wharf with evening trip to Alcatraz. Friday-shopping day!!!!Saturday- Haight Ashbury, Mission Dolores and stroll down Velencia Street for the quirky shops, if there is time perhaps try to get to Twin Peaks. Sunday- Golden gate bridge and Presidio, trying to fit in the Marina. Monday- leave for Las Vegas. There is 3 of us travelling me(age 33) my sister(25) and my mum(50) We aren't really into the theatre or shows, love food but nothing too fancy, adore shopping (especially if a bargain is involved)and my mum is a bit of a biker (loves dive bars, as i think you call them) But more than anything do not want to leave feeling like i have missed out on anything. Any comments or ideas would be gratefully recieved. Oh and I can't wait!!!!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: T- 2 days

How exciting! Your plans look pretty good.

Tues-good

Wed-Just be aware that GG Park is HUGE. Most people focus around the Concourse area, with the de Young Museum, Japanese Tea Garden, the Botanical Gardens, Stow Lake don't miss the Conservatory...

www.sfgov.org/site/recpark_page.asp?id=17796

inetours.com/Pages/SFLndmrkVws/GGP_Map.html

Land's End is actually a trail that goes from just north of Ocean Beach along the edge of Lincoln Park, so it's a fair distance from the park. You can always use the 5 Fulton bus line to get you down to the beach, or transfer to the 18 Sloat at La Playa/Fulton, which ends up at the Palace of the Legion of Honor, near the Land's End trail. Great views from this trail. This brings to mind an important advisory. BRING COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES! SF is a town best experienced on foot. It has plenty of hills.

aaccessmaps.com/show/map/sanfranciscolandsend

…about.com/od/…landendtrail.htm

Thurs-great. You guys might like Pier 23 after your cruise. It's nearby.

http://www.pier23cafe.com/

Fri-great

Sat-The Haight and the Mission (Valencia) are a fair distance apart, but doable if you have the stamina. Have a burrito in the Mission.

Sun-looks pretty good. Union and Chestnut in the Marina are kind of nice with some shops and restaurants.

http://www.unionstreetshop.com/districts.html

http://www.chestnutshop.com/

One thing that might be fun is the North Beach Fair on June 14 & 15. It's free and fun and in an area that I don't see in your itinerary. It's not that far from your hotel.

http://sfnorthbeach.org/NorthBeachFest2007/

Have a great time. Just stay flexible and "go with the flow". See you on the streets.

Oh, BTW, don't worry about Swingcha. He's just one of the local characters that make up the rich fabric of our town.

Nuneaton, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: T- 2 days

Hiya Girasol

Thank you so much for your reply and all the fab websites you guided me to. don't worry I have got the most comfortable walking shoes so will be doing mostly walking.

I am looking forward to seeing the Japanese tea gardens, and thanks for the heads up on the size of the GG park, only just relised that it is bigger than N.Y's Central Park. We are going to try to get to Pier 23 after the Alcatraz cruise,for a light supper.

North Beach fair also looks great, I did look into this about 3 months ago but forgot all about it with eveything else that has had to be organised.

Well must make sure that everything is packed, thanks again for all your help and experience. See ya on the streets!!!

Estero, FL
Level Contributor
605 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: T- 2 days

Hello Shannon,

I share your excitement... We (my hubby, 40 and I 37) actually arrive in SF on Friday morning and fly to Vegas on Tuesday morning. I still haven't nailed down an itenerary that I love; but I made dinner reservations and have decided to go with the flow during the day.....

If I don't meet you in the streets, have a great vacation!!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: T- 2 days

The Weather should be great. Definitely check out North Beach, my wife and daughters like the shops in the Grant & Green St. area. We were there yesterday as a matter of fact.

We checked out the Valencia St area a few weeks back, we were kind of disappointed, maybe we were in the wrong section? We were between 20 - 24th st. didn't see much of interest there.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: T- 2 days

Man, the weather is just fantastic ... took the kids biking in GG Park on Saturday and it was simply the best! Not cold and not hot ... bluest sky ... the weather should hold up this week as well if you believe the forecasts.

6. Re: T- 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 23:17