We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Has anyone stayed recently at this suite? I read on another site only the lobby is air-conditioned, rooms were musty and many other negative comments. We are considering staying at this resort since it would offer more space for our family of four.

Also, will the cable cars keep us up at night? Do they run all night? Are their rooms in the back of the hotel that might offer more peace and quiet? I realize we are in a city and i live in a city, but some parts are noiser than others.

Also, is are there pubs or things to do for young adultss (ages 21 and 23)? Our kids will want to explore the city and just wondering if this is considered a safer area than other points of the city. I understand it is somewhat residential and am interestesd in they are places they could walk safely to at night.

Many thanks for everyone's input.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

This Shell Hospitality hotel is not mentioned frequently on this forum. Most ask about other area hotels at Fisherman's Wharf. It is right where a cable car line ends. The cable cars run from about 6:00 a.m. to about 1:00 a.m.

If you stick with Shell, then do get away from Fisherman's Wharf and explore on foot, or by the #30 Muni bus on North Point & Hyde, in outbound direction it can take you to the Marina and near the Palace of Fine Arts; inbound it heads through the neighboring North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, South of Market. Also walk up Hyde into, Russian Hill, Polk Gulch; take the F train above ground to Pier 23 for Pier 23 Cafe www.pier23cafe.com where you can sit outside and enjoy the view of the bay.

A quieter area is in the Marina/Cow Hollow district that is walking distance to the Marina and with 2 key buses: #22 and #45 that can take you directly to Chinatown/North Beach, Union Square, South of Market, Japantown Pacific Heights, Mission District.

The Hotel Del Sol is in the Marina/Cow Hollow on district on Webster & Greenwich, is very nice with complimentary cont'l breakfast served poolside. Look at the Junior Suite with Queen Bed Sofa Bed (you can ask for an add'l roll away). www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/del_sol/guestrooms

I also recommend requesting connecting rooms at Comfort Inn by the Bay on Lombard & Van Ness www.comfortinnbythebay.com because they have rooms away from the street, rooms with bay/bridge views or city views; it'll state room styles during your room search. Their rates are very reasonable. The way to do it is search their site entering 2 rooms and indicate 2 adults per room.

SF neighborhoods:

sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/

transit.511.org for public transit planning

see my Go Lists for ideas (bars, shopping, dining, live music venues):

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17402-Concert_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17406-San_Fran…

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Obsidian...can you recommend hotels that may havae queen/queen in the Marina area? I am still on the fence about Shell Hospitality vs. Handlery. The close proximity to the Tenderloin area concerns me having two young adults who plan to explore the pub/night club scene. According to many on this forum - they like the Union Square area and i am having difficulty deciding where to stay. I understnad the Handlery is one or one and one-half block from USquare. Ir realize good common sense plays a big part, but if there are other areas that are just a nice and convenience, maybe i should pursue thoses areas and hotels.

We do plan to take a bus tour for an overview of the city, as well as a visit to Alcatraz. We will have a car so we plan to visit Napa or SOnoma for a tour of a vineyard or two.

My main concerns are - want to be in an area that is safe, walkable and with restaurants, pubs, clubs nearby and near or on a public transportation route.

Your suggestions are much appreciated. We are on a wait list for Cow Hollow suites and have confirmed reserevations at Shell Hospt Suites and the Handlery.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

You could shift gears and try another part of town: The Columbus Motor Inn, which many people like, and is located on the edge of North Beach, en route to Fisherman's Wharf. Pretty safe and lots of fun stuff to do for the young folk who want to explore. Choose a family suite and you should be good to go.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d1196…

www.columbusmotorinn.com

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Thanks, Better. They are booked - checked availability a while ago. I might check again.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

The Handlery is smack in the middle of the Union Square area, not in "close" proximation to the Tenderloin. There are all kinds of pubs and etc. in that area and no need to fear that your youngsters will accidentally stray into unsavory areas.

Owensboro
Level Contributor
116 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Southhampton-

Have you looked The Fairmont Hotel? Expedia and Hotels.com is running a 24 special and the rates are excellent!

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Southampton,

When are you coming to SF?

We booked the Shell hospitality suite, Suites

at Fisherman's Wharf for 07/11.

If you can wait, I can provide details.

Hillss97

Maryland
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

That would be great, Hill. We arrive in SFO August 9 and drive to Carmel for three nights, then drive to SFO for four nights. I would love your opinion of the SHell suites. I like the idea of a suite with more room. If you dont mind my asking, how did you hear about SHell suites? Is this your first trip to SFO? Hopefully, it will be in a decent location. We have rented the one bedroom suite in the back of the building since they said it would be more quiet in the back of the building. There is also a rootop deck.

We hail from MD. What part of PA are you from - son goes to college in PA.

pa
Level Contributor
124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

Southampton,

Look on this site under hotel reviews for Suites at Fisherman's Wharf. Someone just came back and had

nice things to say about this place.

I think it will be fine as long as your expectations are realistic. We wanted a room large enough to be somewhat separate from the kids and

to be able to have breakfast inside.

I'm sure it will be clean. Also, if it isn't

presntable, how can it be effectively marketed

as a timeshare?

I'm not expecting turndown service or mints on the pillows. Also, SF has so much to see you'll hardly be in the room.

My husband and I went three yrs ago for our anniversary without the kids and LOVED it.

I promise to share our trip highlights with you!

I'd be glad to share other SF tips too.

We live in Yardley, PA sandwitched betwen

Phila & NY.

The suites are the way to go! Tuscan Inn is supposed

to be nice but it is too expensive for two rooms. We have ten-year-old twins.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Hillss97

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
63 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shell Hospitality Suite, Fisherman's Wharf

We live in that odd city across the bay, Oakland. I'm sure the Shell will be fine (we actually have a timeshare with them) but really, how much time do you think you will be in the room! There are so many wonderful things to do and see in the City. Have some wonderful bread and a latte in a coffee shop, eat Chinese Food, do all of the guidebook activities.

If you are there over the weekend, go to the farmer's market at the Ferry Bldg. Take the Ferry to Angel Island, walk, walk, walk. Just riding the cable cars around is a trip. Go to Nob Hill, hang in Union Square (I still love to have cocktails there). Go to the park and you must see the DeYoung. The one thing I really suggest is to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge stop on the other side (very touristy but a great view).

I don't know how old your "young adults" are but there is so much to do and if they are anywhere close to a little street wise, they will be fine. If you look around the panhandle you will see the old Jefferson Airplane house.

Enjoy our jewel.