We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Aruba, Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

I was just getting ready to purchase out tickets to Alcatraz and was wondering if it's better to go in the morning or in the afternoon?

Just looking at upcoming weeks it seems like the morning slots go first (which was what I was planning on purchasing) so now I'm wondering if it's better to book it in the afternoon because it might be less crowded - or no?

We're not going to be there until the end of July so right now all of the times are available.

Thanks for your help!

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

I went in the evening last week and it was excellent. I believe they let less people on the island in the evening. We also got to look around the laundry room while our guide was explaining some escape attempts. It was excellent and I would highly recommend it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
642 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

we were there on Monday - on the 9am tour. Would highly recommend this time - you are the 1st on the island - so its not too crowded.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

I'd recommend the morning or early Afternoon(1-1:30), because the Fog is usually coming in around 3pm, and very windy.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
76 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

I think the night one is the most popular. I went in the afternoon because I preferred to sleep in. It was a holiday weekend, and it wasn't too crowded.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

We did the 9am tour, and found the crowd levels to be very low while doing our tour. You could tell it was getting noticeably busier by the time we came to leave, which was probably about 11:30am to midday.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

Thanks for all of the replies! Sounds like the way to go is in the morning. I was hoping that wasn't the case since I'm not a morning person (but my husband is so he'll love it!) Think we'll plan on doing the morning tour and then have lunch at Fisherman's Wharf afterwards. Any recommendations for lunch (with a view)?

We're really looking forward to this trip - our first time to Northern Calif! Spending 4 nights at the Palace Hotel and then another 4 nights at a B&B in Calistoga.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

There have been many posts regarding this question and I thin the result is to go in the evening. The evening tour has much more to offer when it coes to teh tour itself. they show things that they do not normally show duing the day.

If you are going to do it I would do it during the evening.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

Okay, now you have me rethinking this whole thing.....maybe the night tour is the way to go. Will there still be good photo ops at that time of day/night?

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

arubaamy,

going to CA instead of aruba for a change..usally see you on the Aruba forums...talked before....we usally go to aruba end of sept beg of oct ourselves but this year we went on a cruise in feb and now also going to CA in oct...3rd - 13th..

we are flying into SF for 3 days to take in the NE Patriots game then drivng to SD to do the same...cant wait...have a good time...

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,252 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcatraz - Best time of day to go?

Hi Sheri!

We're still headed back to Aruba (was just there in April/May)....we'll be there again from 9/11-9/28.

This year for our summer trip we picked SFO and Napa over Europe because of the shrinking dollar. Thought it best to spend our dollars here! :) We're excited about this trip - never been to Northern Calif. before so lots of new things to see and do for us!

Have fun on your trips this fall!