We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Bart or not to Bart

Level Contributor
385 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
To Bart or not to Bart

Arriving into SFO at 9:30pm on a Wed. Staying in Union Square. Will each have a small rollerboard and a laptop bag. Should we take the BART or should we make other plans? Will still be able to get food in the city around 10:30 or is that only on a weekend night?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

Yes, Bart

Crockett, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

Agree that BART is clean and convenient, esp. since you're traveling light. A taxi will set you back about $30-40. Comes down to preference.

10:30 arrival will really limit your eating choices in that district. You're essentially in the financial district which is known for fine, formal, expensive restaurants serving at traditional dining hours. Your best bet is probably Lefty O'Doul's (a buffet hof brau-- an SF institution with OK food), Lori's Diner, or Naan n' Curry (Indian).

SF has lots of late dining, but I wouldn't figure you'll want to travel to another district after getting off the plane & BART...

Level Contributor
385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

Thanks so much. Was not sure how safe it was after dark.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

There are actually quite a few dining options at 10-10:30 p.m.

Go to opentable.com and input your dates and times, choose Downtown/Union Square as your Neighborhood.

You've got places like Kuleto's and First Crush, but if you simply want to eat for hunger's sake, you can even get in at Sear's Fine Food (diner food).

NJ
Level Contributor
138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

I always take BART from SFO into town

Doesn't sound like you have any luggage issues, so it should be pretty pain-free

I'm not sure of the hours at Sears, but I've had good pancakes there for breakfast

Also recommend Dottie's True Blue for great breakfast fare - it's on Jones St., a doable walk from Union Sq.

Dottie's is worth waiting in line for, which you typically have to do as there is limited seating

6. Re: To Bart or not to Bart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 21:20