We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothes to bring in September?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Iberia...
Level Contributor
327 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
What clothes to bring in September?

Need specific ideas on what clothes to bring. Everyone says layers but I can't think of layers because it's in the high 90's and very humid here. Please be specific. Do I carry a back-pack to save the layers as I take them off?

Hendersonville, TN
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

You can usually get by with a t-shirt an jeans during the day, but once the sun sets, definitely have a sweatshirt or a light coat, and you should be fine.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

Well, layers sort of means you have a light underlayer, like a T-shirt, then perhaps a light sweater over that, then, if necessary a fleece. I don't carry a backpack when I visit the city, I just have all of those available in my hotel and use what I need according to the temperature.

September is usually a good month...maybe in the upper 60's or low 70's. However, sometimes for a couple of days in a row, you can get a real heat wave, like, I mean, 80's. With no humidity. You are going to be just fine. Enjoy the sea breezes and the weather and have a wonderful time.

New Iberia...
Level Contributor
327 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

Sounds good. Thanks

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

I was wondering about this too. I despise humidity, it's way worse than actual heat.

I like to wear long cloaks, and other interesting multi-layered outfits. I'm not planning to wear heavy wool or a down coat, but I won't die of heat in a couple of layers of linen or twill, will I?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

September tends to be a lot hotter here than the "summer months" but don't worry about humidity here. It won't happen. I would agree that you probably can get away with jeans or maybe even shorts and a t-shirt during the day, but might be a good idea to bring along a light jacket even for the daytime because your comfort level may change from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even if you happen to be walking on the shaded side of a street! Don't think you need to have multiple layers or a backpack (unless you want to keep your hands free for shopping and were planning to carry one anyway).

If you are planning a trip on the water or a cable car ride in the evening, definitely bring a jacket. I always see shivering tourists on the cable cars around 6pm!

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
578 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

What to do with the layers?

If you're not going to be popping back to your hotel room or parking a car near where you will be at each stop, you may well need a way to carry a layer that you aren't wearing. There is a very good chance that you'll need something extra if

the fog comes in - and it comes in at a run

the wind picks up and blows off the bay

the sun sets - seriously, with such low humidity, it's not unheard of for the temperature to drop 20F or more within half an hour of the sun going down. You can, at times, even feel it set when your back is turned.

A lot of people tie an extra layer around their waist. This works for sweatshirts, fleeces, hoodies and nylon or goretex windbreakers.

For the more fashion minded, a lightweight layer can be tied loosely around the shoulders. This works better for softer, lighter weight items than for jackets or stiff nylon.

The very respectable wander around with an overgarment draped over the left forearm.

I usually bring my kilim backpack or Healthy Back bag and use it to hold a jacket, a water bottle, my camera and a couple of granola bars.

The more casual and most pragmatic bring a comfortable nylon daypack with slightly padded straps. You may look like a tourist, but you'll look like a sensible tourist, unlike the ones who are seen daily toughing out a foggy Golden Gate Bridge in shorts and a T-shirt.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

Webspinner, I appreciate your breakdown on layering for varying levels of fashion-mindedness. Any comments on footwear? I'm thinking Clark Privos.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

Anything but Crocs. They are a dead giveaway that you're not from here. ;-)

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

No Crocs, sfimporter...I promise. Mine are reserved for gardening; also pressed into service when a son's wayward sock stopped up the utility sink and the laundry room flooded.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What clothes to bring in September?

It is probably safe to bring a few different types of clothing so you can test things out. Mother nature has not been the most cooperative lately so you never know what to expect.