We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wrightsville...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

My daughters and I want to either walk or bike across the GG bridge. How far is it to then proceed on to Sausalito's shopping/dining district? We want to take the ferry back to SF. Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
44 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

Bike it. takes about hour +half from fishermans warf and another 30 mins to sausalito then take ferry. Ask at bike hiring places. Enjoy

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,279 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

boompsie,

Do a search on this Forum___"biking to Sausalito"___"biking GG Bridge" etc and you will find endless discussion on this.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

I don't find walking or biking across the GG bridge fun at all. It is loud, usually crowded and windy. But so many people do it.

Once you get over the bridge how do you get down to Sausalito? Is there a seperate trail down? I was there a couple weeks ago to check on my house and I couldn't believe all the tourist bikers, tons. The only way I know of to get into Sausalito by bike from the GG is by taking the first exit. Part of that road is very narrow and windy and most of it pretty steep until you hit the water. There is one hairpin curve that can be scary with on coming traffic. We saw a family really struggling, so make sure you are both comfortable biking. Sausalito has too many bike accidents. We also had problems with some bikers not knowing how to get onto the GG side walk, and they were actually on the road at the entrance of GG near the tolls. They were lucky it was me behind them and not someone else going to fast or unfamiliar with the GG. They almost caused the biggest accident. The far 2 right lanes of traffic had to stop because the bikers had to back track, so wrong way, to get past the fence and jump over to the sidewalk. So my point is just make sure you are up for it and make sure you stay in the write paths.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

You're right, this is a very popular tourist thing to do but it is a lot of fun and you get some spectacular views (fog depending)! I think cycling the GG Bridge is something I'll do every time I go to San Francicso (a bit like walking the Brooklyn Bridge when I go to NYC).

I have no idea how people end up getting so confused about where to go. From the city side on the bridge, it should be easy enough following the signs. I have done the ride twice and we crossed over on different sides of the bridge (the time and day determine which side (east/west) is used as the bike lane). On the Sausalito side there are at least two routes into Sausalito (I've gone a different way each time) and the two roads meet just before reaching the centre of Sausalito.

London, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

Definitely ride the bike across the bridge and down to Sausalito. I thought it was brilliant and was one of the highlights of my trip in San Francisco.

It was a shame we couldn't explore Sausalito as we were racing there to catch the last ferry! It took us approximately two hours overall.

Enjoy and good luck anyhow. =)

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

"and they were actually on the road" one poster said of some cyclists going on the GG?

Is there a law against being on cycling on the road in SF? In most places it is illegal to cycle on the sidewalk.

ottawa
Level Contributor
474 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

Sorry, that should be:

"and they were actually on the road" one poster said of some cyclists going on the GG.

Is there a law against cycling on the road in SF? In most places it is illegal to cycle on the sidewalk.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,835 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

I believe it is not allowed to cycle on the road going over the Golden Gate Bridge because the lanes are narrow and it would be dangerous both for the cyclists and the motorists.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,057 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

Biking is permitted everywhere unless specifically prohibited by law. Many towns forbid bikes on sidewalks. You DO see a lot of signs prohibiting bikes and small scooters and horses (and often pedestrians) on major roads. Bikes ARE permitted on major roads where there is no alternative road through an area.

On the Sausalito road they want to keep bikes away from traffic, so they send you around under the bridge and through the old military base. This is also a lot prettier anyway. But once the bike route rejoins the road into Sausalito, you have to deal with the traffic. Bakes are required to stay as far right as they safely can, which does NOT mean you have to let a car drive you off the road or hit a parked car. A bike is a vehicle and has equal right to the road (unless specifically prohibited), so sometimes you get to ride with the cars.

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,965 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking/Biking across GG bridge to Sausalito

The bikers were not suppose to be on the GG road, but the bikers got confused some how and that is why there was almost a bad accident.

I am glad to hear there is a path down to Fort Baker on the Sausalito side. Again we saw a family that must have gotten confused and missed this as well. As long as you stay on the proper paths, no problem. It is just difficult and dangerous for all when the tourist get off the paths.