We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oakland Marriott City Center

NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Oakland Marriott City Center

My bf and i are thinking of using his marriott points to stay at the Oakland Marriott City Center because we end up using less points, we'll be having a car and parking is cheaper at this hotel than other marriott's in San Fran. Just wanted to get some feedback and how this area is? How convenient is it from san fran (says about 7 miles)? but with local traffic i wanted to get the real estimate. any feedback on the hotel and area would be appreciated! thank you!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

Why do you have a car?

I would stay at the Marriott in Oakland, but not as my first choice. The area is fine and there are few restaurants and things around, but the best part is that you walk out of the hotel and the BART station is right there. You can be in downtown San Francisco is 9 minutes. Thus, you do not need a car at all. To drive back and forth to the City would be crazy. Whatever you are saving by staying in Oakland will be lost by driving back and forth, paying for parking in the City, bridge tolls and mental anguish. I would lose the car and use more points to stay in San Francisco or bite the bullet and pay for the parking in San Francisco and use more points. My last choice would be your plan, but it would work.

What about the Courtyards?

Northern California
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

I agree with the prior post, but here's one more option for you.

The Courtyard Emeryville is a very good hotel and right across the street from a smallish, but very nice mall (with restaurants and movie theater). You can get a bay view room and see the bay bridge lit up at night. It's very close to the freeway, but I don't remember hearing freeway noise in the room. It's about 3 miles from a BART station that you could drive to & park, and PT it into the city. I was gonna say parking is free, but I see that they are now charging $9 per night. $1 to park across the street at the mall; go figure. Points are fewer than Oakland Marriott (Category 3 vs. 4). Although the Marriott location next to a BART station is ideal, some females may not be thrilled with the street scene there at night.

NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

with the car we plan on doing a day trip to the vineyards and to muir woods. even though i know they have tours to both i rather plan my on itinerary so figured since we'll be spending on the car we might as well stay outside san fran. I would rather be close to the BART if thats the easiest way to get into San Fran so then maybe the Oakland Marriott will be a better choice. I decicded against the courtyard b/c they dont have an outdoor pool.

Is it a pain to get into the city via BART from Oakland Marriott? How long would it take?

NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

whats the night scene near the oakland marriott??! :(

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

First, I will say that you should stay IN San Francisco, ditch the car and rent one for the individual days you want to tour outside the City.

Second-

Oakland gets a bad rap. I think the area around the Marriott is fine. There are many nice restaurants around Oakland. Jack London Square - very close to the Marriott - would also be nice to go for dinner and walking around. Oakland is a little more car friendly and you can drive yourself to Jack London Square or other restaurants around Oakland fairly easily.

If you stay at the Marriott in Oakland, take BART from just outside the front door to San Francisco. The trip is about 10 minutes. You can check www.bart.gov for more details. It is definitely the best way to go and couldn't be easier.

Finally, San Francisco is NOT a swimming town unless you are a polar bear. We do have some nice days and people swim in the bay and ocean, but that is not what San Francisco is known for. Swimming and beaches for that purpose are a Southern California thing.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

I've stayed at the Marriot Oakland and I can say that the service is excellent. The food at the hotel is suprisingly good too. The 12th Street BART station is just as Wes said right outside the front door of the hotel. It will get you to San Francisco in no time. It is very easy and quick.

NY
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

Wes - clearly staying in the city is ideal but for cost purposes seems like staying in Oakland isnt too bad. Would you agree? I'm torn between your first statment of staying in the city vs. staying in Oakland!

one more question for the forum - how late does the BART run? if we plan on partying in San Fran, probably stay out til 2am the latest - is it east to get back to the hotel in oakland if we decide to stay there?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

BART only runs to midnight - 12:30, check the BART site above.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

If at all possible, I would try to stay in San Francisco. I would agree that the Marriott is not the worst option. I could stay there and be perfectly happy. I have done the same thing in the past when visiting other cities and just found that staying in the city I am there to see and experience is so much better. For me, the top factor for choosing a hotel is LOCATION.

http://www2.actransit.org/maps/schedule_results.php?ms_view_type=1&version_id=6&maps_category=4&maps_line=800&map_submit=Get+Schedule

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oakland Marriott City Center

Whoops, I forgot to mention that the AC Transit offers a night owl service for the period of time BART stops running. That is the link I provided on the previous post. Here it is again:

http://www2.actransit.org/maps/schedule_results.php?ms_view_type=1&version_id=6&maps_category=4&maps_line=800&map_submit=Get+Schedule