We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check In Times for South West Airlines

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
270 posts
Save Topic
Check In Times for South West Airlines

I'm flying from San Francisco to Las Vegas. How long before flight departs should I be at airport? Flight leaves at 9.05am so was aiming to be there about 7am. Does that sound about right?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,555 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Check In Times for South West Airlines

lagentium, IF you want to get a seat on the plane with your honey then you MUST be on a computer exactly 24hrs before the flight departs to check in on line. IF there's a printer you can also print out your boarding pass but that's not as important as checking in early as you board the plane and pick your seats in numbered order based on when you check in.

IF you have luggage to check in then 2hrs ahead is fine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
515 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Check In Times for South West Airlines

Arriving at the airport at 7AM should be fine. As before mentioned, if you would like to ensure that you and your wife sit together then, check in online 24 hours earlier. Otherwise, check in at the airport & hopefully, you can find two seats next to each other on the plane when you board.

oh
Level Contributor
52 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Check In Times for South West Airlines

That time line should be good. It will give you time to get thru check-in, security, gate, etc.

We flew Southwest a couple weeks ago. We were in the "A" group on the first flight and the "B" group on the return flight. Both times, we were able to sit near each other.

I checked in exactly 24 hours prior each time. It may interest you that if you are in the "A' group, the first 15 numbers are reserved for "premier customers". We had number A23-26, so I thought there would be 22 people ahead of us! Actually there were NO premier members flying, so there were only eight people ahead of us!! That worked out great.

Of course, people who need extra time to board get on the plane before anyone else. On the return flight, there were 5 different people with wheelchairs lined up!!! They and all of the companions (some had an entourage of 4), got to get on first. Then the premier, then the rest of the "A"'s, then families, then B's, etc.

Another thing, I signed up on the SW website to be notified via text message if there was a flight delay or update! On the return flight, I received a text that we were delayed 1 hour. We were already at the airport at that time. Well, guess what happened. Another plane came in early, so they decided to use that plane for our flight. We ended up leaving on time after all!! I never received a text about the "delay has been cancelled"!! Thankfully we were already at the gate and ready to go, but be careful if you rely on the "message" system. A couple people almost missed the flight because they had received the same message I had! I think it was just a last second decision and they forgot to notify people!

Have fun!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Check In Times for South West Airlines

Lagentium,

What everyone has said is correct but we have used SW many times for short flights San Francisco - Vegas____Vegas - Burbank____LA - Vegas etc etc and have never gone online 24 hours before____have arrived at the airport at a similar time frame as yours and have always got B Group and sat together.

If we were flying across the country then I would do the 24 hour thing but you will not have a problem.

5. Re: Check In Times for South West Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 13:17