We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF to vegas

Woking Surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
SF to vegas

We are visiting SF in october and plan to stay in the city for about 4/5 days and then hire a car and drive to Vegas. On the way we want to stay near monteray for a few nights and the big sur and have some time exploring the coast.

We then want to drive straight to Vegas, how long would it take us to drive from say san luis obispo to Vegas would it be possible to do in a day.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF to vegas

Can be done in app. 7 hours. It's not the question but have you thought about visiting some fantastic NP's like Yosemite NP and Death Valley NP? Esp. Death Valley is not that long a detour on your way to Las Vegas from SLO and october is great for a visit.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF to vegas

I agree with Tet. October is the best time to be in the state. The fog and the tourists are gone, and there is loads of fall color in the Sierras. I'd suggest taking a day off the SF or Vegas portion of your trip to go through Yosemite, visit the valley and then drive over Tioga Pass (they won't close it for winter until November) and stay along the east side of the Sierras the first night. Stay at Mammoth or June Lake or Toms Place or Bishop. The next day visit one of the little lakes a few miles up the road in the Sierras and then head through Death Valley to Vegas. This is just too splendid in October to hurry through.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF to vegas

I'm with the two others posters, if you can, don't miss Yosemite NP or Death Valley NP. It's a two day trip, stopping somewhere like Bishop overnight, but the scenery and landscape is breathtaking and so varried. We did it in June, not long after the Tioga Pass through Yosemite had reopened, and it was great. Thick snow on the ground in places going through the pass, but baking hot sun down in Yosemite Valley. And Death Valley was just a crazy place to visit, nothing like it imho.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF to vegas

Hey badgercat,

Your trip sounds wonderful. Exploring the coast and driving to Vegas can be done in about 7 hours as another poster said. I agree with the previous posters. There are so many beautiful National Parks to see including Yosemite and Death Valley and never enough time. I think the drive to Vegas is exciting especially as you get closer and see the lights of Vegas. You will see alot of desert on your way and it is very interesting to see the scenery change from the coast to desert to the bright lights of Sin City. Whatever you decide on your trip, have a wonderful time. Happy travels.

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF to vegas

San Luis Obispo to Las Vegas is a great drive. It's definitely doable in a day. Yes, it would be great to take the suggested side trips, but, even if you can't, don't let that discourage you.

It should take less than 7 hours of driving (and in times for stops, fueling and fooding).

Just take US 101 (north) to CA SR 58 (east, all the way to Lenwood...almost 250 miles!), then I-15 north to Las Vegas. SR 58 is an epic road that will give you an amazing pastiche of California (I drove the Santa Margarita to McKittrick portion just today!).

Be sure to stop in Baker for a fresh strawberry shake at the Mad Greek (or an entire meal, if you're hungry).

6. Re: SF to vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 09:19