We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Kansas City
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Trip Report

Saturday -

Checked into Best Western Lighthouse Inn in Pacifica

Headed into town to visit Ferry Building/Farmers Market wow was it crowded!

Open Top Sightseeing Bus Tour, the weather was great and tour was fun but the driver was having a bad day and let us all know it, quite a few times.

Went to Rogue for dinner and it was quite disappointing there was some kind of musical festival going on across the street therefore they were serving a limited menu of about 6 items, which was quite disappointing because they had a huge menu online and it looked fantastic. After dinner we headed back out south and had a couple of very good beers at Half Moon Bay Brewing Company before heading back to Pacifica for the night.

Sunday -

Walked around Union Square

Lunch at Kuelto's was fantastic one of our favorite meals of the trip

Used the second day of our Open Top Sightseeing Bus Tour 2-Day Tickets this time we got off and walked around different areas.

Checked into the Fairmont for the night in town, got a great deal on hotels.com

Went to dinner at Boulevard, food and service was excellent, then went to the Tonga Room at the Fairmont for drinks, buyer beware the Mai Tai's are really strong!!

Had a great stay at the Fairmont, we were a little disappointed that there was no in room coffee and when we went down stairs we were told complimentary coffee ends at 7 am.

Monday

Took the Golden Gate Ferry to Sausalito, trip was kind of bust, not really much over there. Had lunch at Spinnaker's which was disappointing, the service was horrible and the food was just alright, definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Headed back to the city and did some more Union Square walking and did Chinatown too.

Dinner at the Park Chalet, everything was great there, except the Lobster Rolls, very blah and tasted like nothing, otherwise excellent

Went back to Half Moon Bay Brewery for drinks again.

Tuesday

Picked-up Coffee/Pasteries at Mazzetti's Bakery, they were FANTASTIC!

Headed up to Ferrari-Carano Vineyards, grounds were beautiful, the tour was good, but not great. Tasting was good too $5 refunded with a bottle purchase.

Headed over to Francis Coppola Winery, this was one of our favorites, the pourers were very knowledgeable and served way more than our few tastings we were suppose to receive. $12 fee was refunded with 2 bottle purchase.

Benziger Family Winery - disappointing, the main room server was arguing with reserve room because they didn't think the main counter was trying to sell people on the reserve tasting. Wines were expensive, and the pourer seemed like we were bothering him.

Chateau St Jean Winery - again disappointing, pretty grounds, but the servers lacked any amount of enthusiasm and could have cared less about us being there or telling us about there wines, wines weren't very good either.

Bartholomew Park Winery - good lines, not much to look at on the grounds, our pourer wasn't very into it but the other one was.

Grudlach Bundschu Winery - Our favorite wines of the trip and the pourer was great, again she was very excited to tell us about their wines and poured way more then the four we were suppose to receive with our tasting.

Sebastiani Winery - no one ever spoke to us here and just seemed like a big wine gift shop, never even did the tasting.

Had dinner at Della Santina in Sonoma, food was fantastic but the service was horrible, they opened 15 minutes late and then waited another 15 minutes for a server to come to the table. My husbands dish was good but not what he ordered, but the server never came by nor could we get his attention after it was delivered so he went ahead and ate it anyway. The food was really good though!

Headed back home Wednesday, good thing we arrived 2+ hours before our flight because we waited 1 hour and 20 minutes just to check our bags with Midwest Airlines, they only had one clerk working and no kiosk check-in's, also pretty disappointed in the food selection at the at SFO, Subway was the only chain restaurant near our gate.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

So you found Sausalito disappointing? We're considering taking the ferry to Sausalito when we visit in Oct., but maybe it's wiser to direct our $$ to another aspect of our vacation -- like a $45 sunset cruise.

I read a recommendation for Adventure Cat's bay cruises in a recent issue of Sunset Magazine. www.adventurecat.com declares "Consistently voted among the top five things to do in San Francisco" amd offers hundreds of glowing customer reviews. What do TA posters say?

Kansas City
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Yes, we spent $30 round trip for two on the ferry to Sausalito and there was really nothing to do there unless you are into go through the art galleries and that's not really our thing. We were going to do the Adventure Cat as well, but it was really cold out on the bay so we opted not to do it, but it sounded fun, but also seemed really cold!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

I posted a new subject on adventure cat. I too would like to know if anyone from here used that company or how the trip went. I only found 1 review from 2006 when I searched for it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,071 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

* "also pretty disappointed in the food selection at the at SFO, Subway was the only chain restaurant near our gate." *

Wow! This is definitely a tragedy. We'll have to see if we can get McDonald's, KFC, Burger King, or Dunkin' Donuts to go there and fill this need. :^D

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Concerning food selection at SFO, I remember reading a few years back that SFO made a point of not opening any chain restaurants (I'm surprised Subway is even there.) inside the terminals, and instead, opting for only local establishments that are well-known to people who are from San Francisco. SFO's reasoning was that there's enough good local restaurants in San Francisco that could move into the terminals that they don't have to rely on chain restaurants.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Don't eat at SFO unless your desperate. We were just there on Saturday. I got 4 egg and cheese sandwiches on an english muffin, 4 bottles of water, 1 coffee and 1 tea. It cost me almost 52.00. Highway robbery.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
91 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like you had a great trip. Thanks for all the great details. The Fairmont sounds like a great place but what's up with no coffee (complimentary) after 7 AM and no coffee pot in room. That's no way to treat guests. I'm glad you shared your trip with us. I'm looking forward to going in October. Can't wait.

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the report, we also loved Boulevard when we dined there for my birthday. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

would love to go to the Coopola winery..how far was it and how did you get there....did you rent a car?

nervous about driving after wine tasting...thanks

Kansas City
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

We did rent a car, my husband and I shared tastings at each of the wineries, rather than getting our own and if we didn't like it we dumped it rather than drink it. Also pace yourself we did two wineries before lunch, did two more, took a break and walked around Sonoma Town Square then did a couple more. We both agreed that we will always do it on our own with a car, we got to go where we wanted and spend as little or as much time at each winery that we wanted.