We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

We plan to fly into SFO and spend 3-4 car-less days seeing the city. To get a car to drive Highway 1 to Carmel etc., do we need to go out to the airport for a car? Fodor's doesn't list agencies except for those at the airport, but I'd think it would be possible to get a car in the city (just as it is in Cleveland). Please advise on the most efficent way to proceed with auto arrangements.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

Enterprise (222 Mason), Hertz (433 Mason), Alamo- National, Thrifty and Avis(Post and Ofarrel) all are within a ten block radius.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

You can definitely both arrange to rent a car and pick it up in the city. There are several companies. The only one whose address I know is Hertz, which is on Mason between Geary and Post, next to the Donatello Hotel.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

In response to a very similar posting in the past few days I suggested that the poster START by contacting their hotel and seeing if they had a standing arrangement with a rental agency (most will), and get contact information and pricing information from this agency. This gives you both a location fix (via Google or Yahoo Maps or Mapblast) to identify other nearby agencies, as well as a reference price to see if it's even worth the trouble to rent from somebody else.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

Thanks for all the good information. Once we settle on a hotel, I'll be sure to check with them about any agreement with an agency and then turn to the rest of the suggestions if that falls through.

5. Re: Car rental locations in downtown San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 19:20