We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying outside SF? Where?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norway
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Staying outside SF? Where?

I'm thinking it would be a good and economical idea to get a hotel just outside SF and use the BART to get in to SF when we want to.

Any good ideas on where to stay? I don't know to many areas around SF, but know there is Berkeley at least.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

I would suggest Emeryville.

emeryvillechamber.com/visitor/Shopping.htm

It is central ...i.e. you can take BART up to Berkeley, BART to San Francisco, etc.

The public market here is a good place to eat (and inexpensive). Wide Variety...

http://www.emerymarket.com/

One thing that would be helpful is the $ you want to spend each night....so we give you a better idea of possibilities of where to stay.

B

Norway
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

Thanks mini for your fast response.

I haven't set a firm limit, but the closer to a 100 dollars the better. I guess up to 140 dollars might be okay.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,950 posts
5,139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

You mgiht want to check:

Woodfin Suites:

http://www.thehardagegroup.com/emeryville

Depending on when you book, they have the following rates;

]109.00 USD Queen Studio Promotional Rate - (Daily Rate Per Room)

One Queen bed with full sofa sleeper, full kitchen and living, free breakfast.

This place is within a few walking distance of the Emeryville Public Market I mentioned above.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

I, personally, wouldn't like staying in Emeryville because it's just another American chain suite hotel/mall set-up by the side of the freeway, albeit a very nice one.

This question gets asked a lot, and it just depends on what kind of person you are, whether you have kids, and how you like to travel.

I like to be in the city I'm visiting to experience the pulse of the place and the way people live. I like having dinner at locally owned restaurants near my hotel some nights, someplace I can walk to if I want. While you can find that in Emeryville if you position yourself just right, I find the experience lacking.

BART stops running at midnight, so if you are the type who gets in early from your dining and sightseeing, it's great. If not, don't plan on just hopping a cab back over the bridge unless you want to spend big bucks. Emeryville requires a shuttle to the BART station, since there is no station in Emeryville. That's another layer of transportation.

You can keep expenses down in SF, right in the heart of Union Square, depending on the season you're traveling (the winter months from Jan to late February are good, plus you get crab in season). Fisherman's Wharf will run more expensive than Union Square because it is the tourist destination, but that is not necessarily desireable.

Provide more information about your objectives, and we can help with suggestions. You will find many of the locals on the board don't recommend staying outside the city, but everyone has his or her reasons for wanting to do so. Our job is to help you reach your objective. The point is, if it's just economics driving your query, there are ways to do it besides staying outside the city; It may not even be cheaper for you to do so, given the additional cost of BART and your time.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

I am one of those who would not suggest that you stay outside of San Francisco to visit San Francisco. You miss the ambiance and flavor of the city by trekking back and forth.

Also, don't forget to add the cost of your transportation to and from the city each day to whatever your outside-the-city hotel would cost.

We are staying in a hotel in Union Square tomorrow, a good one, for $159. It can be done even for less if you know how to look.

Norway
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

Thanks again for some good replays.

I'll be traveling with my 4 year old, so I don't think there will be a lot of late nights.

We're in the city to meet some people, but wont be with them the whole time, so we'll do some sightseeing as well.

If someone can give me the right tip to get the best price I would really apriciate it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

Having a 4 year old with you is another reason for not traveling back and forth into and out of the city.

Go to hotelres.com, choose San Francisco and Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf and see what they have to offer in price. Right now they are showing the Andrews and the Cornell hotels in Union Square for around, or under $150. You didn't say when you are coming, but you should reserve as soon as you know.

Someone else can give you information on how to use Priceline where you bid on a hotel in the area you want. You don't get a choice of hotel and you pay upfront with no cancellation, but you can get a very good price.

Norway
Level Contributor
204 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

We'll be there the first week of october.

Will hotelres.com let me cancel if I find a be better offer?

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

Wow! hotelres.com shows some great rates. Thanks for the link, Puter, and I'll definitely be checking there whenever we work out a time to come to SF>

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,606 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying outside SF? Where?

Mamma,

Yes, you can cancel your hotel reservation if you make it through hotelres. They are a consolidator and work with the hotels. After the reservation is made you deal with the hotel, using their cancellation policy. You also pay the hotel when you check out. You don't pay hotelres upfront.

That is why I don't like Priceline and Hotwire, but people who know how to use them and are sure of their dates seem to get great prices. (I also don't like THEM picking my hotel, but I am fussy.)