We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Ok.

I have 13 nights, 3 of them which fall right after our stay in Calistoga We were going to stay at Moss Beach near Half moon bay in a cottage above the Marine Reserve. Now a place became available in Mill Valley. Both places are comparable as far as amenities. This part of our trip is to be the time to kick back and relax, maybe hike, or just chill, before we head back to SF for the last 3 nights. Which of these two locations will be warmer, and which ones have access to more restaurants, as this part of the trip we are not going to have a kitchen. Any recommendations.

Mentioned in this post
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

I think I'd recommend Mill Valley, but it's really a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" proposition. You could do either set of activities just as well at either location, but Mill Valley will almost certainly be warmer than Half Moon Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Mill Valley should be warmer. You mention hiking. Mill Valley lies in the shadow of Mt Tamalpais with miles of hiking trails. Muir Woods, Stinson Beach, Sausalito, and Tiburon are all nearby. Try the Buckeye Roadhouse, or dine with a view of the City in Sausalito or Tiburon. The small downtown of Mill Valley is pretty neat too.

http://www.marintrails.com/

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=471

http://www.buckeyeroadhouse.com/

www.yelp.com/c/mill-valley-ca/restaurants

In Tiburon,

http://www.samscafe.com/

http://www.guaymasrestaurant.com/

In Sausalito,

http://www.thespinnaker.com/

http://www.horizonssausalito.com/

They don't call it marvelous Marin for nothing.

I'm sure that someone will step up for Half Moon Bay, which is also a worthy destination.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Stinson Beach
Stinson Beach
145 Reviews
Stinson Beach, CA
Sausalito
Sausalito
Marin County, CA
Buckeye Roadhouse
Buckeye Roadhouse
499 Reviews
Mill Valley, CA
Marin County
Marin County
California
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

If you stay in Mill Valley, you would of course have close access to both Muir Woods and Point Reyes National Seashore as well as the Golden Gate Recreation Area and Mount Tamalpais--all fabulous areas for hiking and natural scenery. If you are seriously into nature, definitely stay in the Mill Valley location. Mill Valley will be warmer, less fog than Moss Beach. Both areas have a decent choice of restaurants within a short drive.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Golden Gate Park
Golden Gate Park
8,479 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Thanks everyone, this really will help us make a decision.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

In Moss beach you might have an ocean view, if the fog's not in the way. In Mill Valley there will be little fog, and if there is, it will burn off early. Most days MV is at least 10 degrees warmer than MB in the summer. Your MV place will doubtless be surrounded by redwoods and may have decent views of mountains and bay. MV is the trendy capital of trendy Marin, so there's lots to see and eat.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Marin County
Marin County
California
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

I guess I did not tell you when I am visiting. We will be there in early October. Does that change any of the suggestions? sorry about that. I know either place will have what we want, but the two of us disagree on where to stay for these 3 nights of our trip, so I just put out the question.

Thanks again.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Mill Valley will be warmer than Half Moon Bay, guaranteed. During early October, however, coastal fog tends to be less problematic than during the summer. In which case your Half Moon Bay accommodations may offer ocean views.

Mill Valley--which is quite trendy in the yuppie sense (gag!)--may afford you views of Mt. Tam. (Mt. Tam is not really all that, honestly.) Mill Valley does have more trees, but it's so close to San Francisco that I don't see why you would want to spend additional time here. At least Half Moon Bay is a little bit further away.

This brings me to a question: Why Half Moon Bay or Mill Valley? Why not further from SF, such as Davenport to the south or Point Reyes to the north...

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

I want to see point reyes I was planning on leaving Calistoga early on our last day there and either exploring towns along the Russian River, and visit the Goat "something" park when it hits the ocean, then drive down the coast towards San Fransisco and hiking in Point Reyes. We just found this place in Half Moon bay that seemed to be far enough away, but still close if we wanted to meet friends.

We have some that live south of SF. We will be in the place we choose on a Wed Thurs Friday night stay. Back to SF at downtown area for Sat and Sun night before we head home. So our trip starts in SF for 2 nights, then to wine country for 4 then "somewhere" for 3 then SF for last 2 to pick up stuff we may have missed out on the first two nights there. Both the SF stays have either a Fri or Sat night stay.

Mentioned in this post
Calistoga
Calistoga
Napa Valley, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Half Moon Bay
Half Moon Bay
California
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

Mill Valley is Lake Geneva (minis the lake). Half Moon is Kinnickinnic Ave in the country that is just now beginning to go up scale.

Like em both.

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Half Moon Bay or MIll Valley

davdaven wrote"Mill Valley--which is quite trendy in the yuppie sense (gag!)--may afford you views of Mt. Tam. (Mt. Tam is not really all that, honestly.) Mill Valley does have more trees, but it's so close to San Francisco that I don't see why you would want to spend additional time"

Obviously, you haven't spent much time in Marin. Nothing special about trees, I guess, or vistas or hiking, or........ It may be relatively close to the city, but it is a world apart.

That said, early October is an excellent time to visit Half Moon Bay. That should balance out the temp differences. It is the best time of year on the coast. So if you want coast and beaches, go HBM. Either way, you win!

BTW, early October also brings the annual Fleet Week, featuring the Blue Angels. See if this coincides with your SF dates:

http://www.military.com/fleetweek

Mentioned in this post
Mill Valley
Mill Valley
Marin County, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Marin County
Marin County
California
Half Moon Bay