We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to San Francisco

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Topic
Travel to San Francisco

We would like to do a 2 week vacation in USA ideally San Fran, Las Vegas and San Diego in Oct/Nov but can not find a reputable cheap travel agent in the UK. We do not particularly want to drive but fly between destinations. Any one have any ideas? Thanks

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to San Francisco

What do you need a travel agent for when there is the internet. Start by looking at www.netflights.com and www.kayak.com for ideas and prices. Most airlines ofer multi city routings.

More importantly don't call San Francisco, San Fran, the natives don't like it!!

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to San Francisco

Also look into Southwest Airlines, they fly between the cities and usually have very good rates and a selection of times. They will not show up on the multi-airline search websites. http://www.southwest.com/

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to San Francisco

Further to my post, I put in some random dates in Kayak for travel in October for the routing LHR - LAX - LAS - SFO - LHR and came up with US Air at £683 and Delta at £703.

Encinitas, CA
Destination Expert
for Encinitas
Level Contributor
579 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to San Francisco

Try Zoom Airlines roundtrip to San Diego from Gatwick and then Southwest, as already mentioned, or perhaps Virgin America for the internal flights.

Good luck!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to San Francisco

I did not know the "natives" did not like when people shorten it to San Fran??? I bet you really don't like SF then. I am sorry if I offended anyone. I use that all the time.

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to San Francisco

There was a post (more like a rant) here about a month ago regarding San Fran and Frisco, etc. SF is ok. It seems like a universal feeling in San Francisco.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to San Francisco

SF is fine.

SFO for the San Francisco International Airport only (unless you're on some kind of specialty thread among San Francisco Opera aficionados).

I have no leads for travel agents but have some general tips:

- Do think about looking at Southwest Airlines (www.iflyswa.com) for inexpensive flights internally between SF (use SFO or OAK), San Diego (SAN)and Las Vegas (LAS). You can use it in combination with the other airlines, such as the aforementioned airlines such as Virgin America, which flies between SFO and LAS, or SFO and SAN, (but not from San Diego to Las Vegas).

- Expect SF hotel rates to go down some in November, and try to avoid the Thanksgiving weekend at the end of the month, unless you like crowds around Union Square... or are hoping to shop pre-Christmas sales. Weather is also much cooler November, typically.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
440 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to San Francisco

Hi Ali8

We are going to US for 4 weeks in October and I booked everything myself not through a travel agent. They charge all their fees etc and it can cost alot more. Starting in San Francisco, Las Vegas, Los Angeles and New york.

You may just want to book your most major flights with them.

I booked at the Handlery through their own website and got a deal for 4 nights for just $650USD.

and from SFO to Vegas we are going on Virgin America for $60 each. Its so cheap..

Anyways..after all the researching you do, it will give you more knowledge and will pick up ideas on the way..

Have a great trip!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to San Francisco

Thank you all for the information its a great help

10. Re: Travel to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 02:18