We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Star Hotel under $200???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3,804 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
3 Star Hotel under $200???

Looking for a 3 star hotel for under $200 for Oct 10 -- 13, 2008. Mainly sightseeing, so am flexible as far as location. Are any suburbs recommended.....Oakland, San Rafael, etc? Want to be accessible to BART. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Oakland
Oakland
California
San Rafael
San Rafael
Marin County, CA
California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

Wow I paid under $200 at the very last minute for a nice place the other day right in Union Square.

Villa Florance was like $178. Kuletos is on the ground floor and is wonderful for lunch or dinner or both.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

www.cornellhotel.com Cornell de France Union Square

www.hotelbijou.com/ Hotel Bijou Union Square

www.jdvhotels.com/tomo Hotel Tomo Japantown

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Japantown
Japantown
419 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

I recently paid about $140/night for 3 nights at the new Intercontinental SF (4.5 stars), via Hotwire. If you're not picky re exact location, Hotwire can get you some steals!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

Have a look at the Chancellor Hotel.

Great location right on Union Square and great value. Read the TA Hotel reviews.

www.chancellorhotel.com

October is a great month to visit but also very busy____I would lock something away as soon as you can.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,958 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

The King George is showing (on its website) $169 for the 10th and 11th and $269 for the 12th. That is an average of about $200/night.

We stay here quite often. Two blocks from Union Square and charming.

I don't think you will do better, as I did some other checking around, but do check the Chancellor. I believe that on Hotelres.com they showed a twin/twin room for $200. Try that.

The Hotel 480, a block from Union Square is a former Crowne Plaza which has been bought by Marriott and is undergoing renovation. We got a room there last weekend for $169.

You just have to keep trying.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,842 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

Try looking at sidestep.com - it will pull up the cheapest rates for hotels on various travel websites. If you find something that meets your budget, you can book through the travel website or contact the hotel directly. Most hotels will match the rate if you ask. I was able to get a room at the Hotel Monaco (four star) in union square for $150/night using this technique.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,958 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

That sounds like a really good resource. Thanks. I especially like the idea of booking with the hotel rather than the booking engine. If you book through them do they charge up front with no cancellation like hotwire, etc. do?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

Hotel Union Square recently refurbished on Powell Street near cnr of Ellis.

It's on the Bart from SFO and cable car at the front door.

We got a reduced rate for booking 3 or more nights of $127.

Right in the centre of the shopping precinct too. www.hotelunionsquare.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

Puter, in response to your question:

When I booked through the hotel, I did not have to pay anything up front. I just gave them my credit card to hold it, and regular cancelation policies applied (cancelation with no penalty up to 24 hours before check-in). If you book with one of the external sites, I am guessing you probably pay it all up front. Some of them seem to have some flexibility with canceling/changing and others not so much.

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Star Hotel under $200???

I swear by Hotwire.com. I have used it several times and got great rates - $79 for the Holiday Inn at Fisherman's Wharf, and $59 for Holiday Inn at civic Centre. Car parking is expensive - around $30 a night, but that is standard for San Francisco.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,543 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California