We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fleet Week

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Fleet Week

Just found out that the exact days my hubby and I will be in SF are the exact days of Fleet Week-- Oct 9-12. Tell me the truth, are we in for crowds, crowds, and more crowds?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fleet Week

Down at the wharf there will be a ton of people. That's the prime viewing area and people from everywhere cruise down to the waterfront. But I think a lot of that are local bay area people. I don't think the touristy stuff will be that much more crowded. Anyway, fleet week rocks! Enjoy!

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fleet Week

I don't think crowds are a huge problem since the event is spread out over the weekend and there are so many viewing points acoss the bay area.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fleet Week

The weekend will be crowded. The waterfront will be packed with people wanting to watch the airshows and tour the ships. Also expect to hear the Blue Angels and other planes roaring over SF.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fleet Week

The North Beach Parade is also happening around that time, Oct 8. Last year the parade and airshow were on the same day. It was packed in NB, and along the waterfront.

It's actually a really good time to visit I think.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,661 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fleet Week

I forgot about the North Beach Parade. I agree with Simbot...it will be a great weekend to visit.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,909 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fleet Week

I remember my first Fleet Week. My husband and I were vacationing with another couple in SF unaware that it was Fleet Week. We rolled into town and I heard/saw a Blue Angel fly over us. I REALLY freaked my husband out trying to get the words out that I just saw a Blue Angel!! He didn't believe me at first, but soon realized I was right.

The first thing we did after checking into our hotel was run straight down to the Marina to watch the Blue Angel's fly over the bay. What a treat! Now when I hear an FA-18 fly over us on the Central Coast, my heart rate goes up and I run to take a look!

I have never had a problem with the crowds during Fleet Week. And I don't like crowds. So go and enjoy the air show and then move on to doing other things in The City. It'll be OK.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
96 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fleet Week

Thanks to all of you. Sounds like things will be fine.

8. Re: Fleet Week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 14:17