We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 best restaurants in san francisco

london
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
3 best restaurants in san francisco

my husband and I will be spending a sat night and the following wed/thurs night in san francisco end of aug/first week of sept. So far i have booked Boulevard for the wed night(is this as good as its meant to be?). i am thinking of going to the bar for food at gary danko sice i can't get a table. is this a good idea or is it the experience not the same if you are not in the restaurant...are there one or two other restaurants that we should try to eat at..maybe an amazing chinese in china town - something i wouldn't be able to experience in london..we are real foodies and there seems to be so many amazing restaurants in san francisco that i can't decide..thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

You wouldn't be able to experience any of the following in London like in SF:

www.henryshunanrestaurant.com the one on 110 Natoma off of 2nd Street, it's an alley between Mission & Howard

a taqueria in the Mission - go to El Toro Taqueria on the corner of 17th & Valencia (sister to another good one on 16th @ Valencia called Pancho Villa)

Gaspare's Pizza on Geary & 20th Ave. www.gasparespizza.com/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

You can check out Michael Bauer's top 100 list on the SF Chronicle site www.sfgate.com. His choice are always hotly debated but all are very good at least. Other local foodie resources are the Becks and Posh (not _that_ Becks and Posh, the other one) blog and chowhound.com.

obsidian Snow's suggestions are pretty good for more street food choices. There are other locations which may be more convenient for visitors. There's a Pancho Villa just north of the Ferry Bldg and a Henry's Hunan on Kearney in Chinatown.

london
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

Thank you! will def take the time to read about those places and reiews. Just one thing - would you say that henry hunan is the best chinese in SF??

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,566 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

You could ask 100 people and get 100 different opinions on this subject in San Francisco but I agree with eephus, check out Michael Bauer's 100 top list and you will not only have plenty to check out but a great cross section of great restaurants.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

For Chinese, you may want to have a dim sum lunch rather than dinner. Depending on your budget, I'd choose Yank Sing or on the cheaper end, Ton Kiang.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,499 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

Michelin has rated the SF restaurants, if you trust the opinion of a bunch of French people. They gave 2 stars to Michael Mina and Aqua, and one star to a whole bunch on places, including Boulevard. You can check availability of any good place in town and make reservations on

www.opentable.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

Boulevard, Spruce, Farallon.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

My choices would be Ame, Coi, Spruce, Gary Danko.

Here's some recs from Michael Bauer, our local restaurant critic.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,923 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

Oops, here's that link:

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 best restaurants in san francisco

to Londxx > would you say that henry hunan is the best chinese in SF?? <

there is a line every day from 11:30AM-1:00PM for lunch of the downtown workers. It's popular enough to be covered by my friend who made this page a few years ago: kingofusagoestojapan.com/henrys/about.html