We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
243 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

We recently spent 3 nights in San Francisco as part of a two week trip to California. Thanks to everyone who offered advice when we were planning, here’s what we got up to – sorry it is VERY long, but I hope some of you might read it!

DAY ONE

Arrived SFO on a bright sunny afternoon and got a cab to our hotel – very quick and easy. We stayed at the SAN REMO hotel in North Beach – highly recommend especially if you are on a tight budget, the value is incredible.

Went to TOP OF THE MARK for evening drinks and food. It was a Saturday night and very busy - get there early. Watching sunset over the Golden Gate bridge was a great way to start the holiday, and we loved the live music and dancing.

On leaving we got our first understanding of ‘the coldest winter’ – the sunny day had given way to a damp windy night that chilled to the bone. Brrr!!

DAY TWO

It was SF marathon day and we had entered the 5K race taking place near the FERRY BUILDING. This was really fun and great way to spend those early jet-lagged hours of the first morning. We ran alongside the first people finishing the full marathon which was inspiring.

On the way back to the hotel we ventured up Telegraph Hill and to COIT TOWER. Great view and glimpsed a few parrots.

After returning to hotel, we RENTED BIKES and cycled out to GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. Stop in the warming hut at Crissy Field – the shop had lots of interesting souvenirs. The bridge was still half shrouded in fog so we decided to do a loop round the Presidio, Lincoln Park and Golden Gate Park and return. Be warned, this is long and hilly! The bike hire maps are useless – just follow the “39 mile Scenic Drive” signs. Stopped to admire the “chickenwire monolith” of the DE YOUNG building.

On returning to the bridge, the fog had mostly lifted and the sun had come out – we were so glad we came back, the sunshine lifts the view from “wow” to “WOW!”, the whole scene just pops.

We had been told at the bike hire company that it was only 10 minutes from the north side of the bridge to SAUSALITO. Decided we had enough time to make it down there and catch the ferry back. Soon realised 10 minutes was a gross underestimate. Arrived at the ferry puffing and panting just in time – but, disaster, they weren’t letting any more bikes on! Advice – arrive early! Sausalito was lovely but we had not time to dally - we had to cycle all the way back over the bridge at full pelt to get back to the hire shop before closing.

Wobbled back to the hotel on shaky legs, and then went out to ALCATRAZ for the NIGHT TOUR. Definitely recommend this – the evening light is spectacular. Audio tour is good and also got to visit the hospital, which is quite spooky.

After getting back on the ferry, we were exhausted and in need of food, and saw the glowing sign of HOUSTONS dead ahead – which was the answer to all our prayers, loved this place – a modern up-scale take on a diner.

DAY THREE

Not surprisingly after a transatlantic flight and an epic day yesterday, we weren’t feeling at our best. Wandered Columbus Road looking for breakfast and happened upon CAFFE TRIESTE. Cool beatnik-y atmosphere and great people watching.

Went to DOWNTOWN and UNION SQUARE for shopping. Felt like we were in New York, such a contrast from North Beach.

Went to the MISSION area for lunch at LA TAQUIERIA. Delicious bargain tacos and more (very different) people watching. Maybe we veered onto the wrong streets but we found very little evidence of the interesting shops we were expecting in this area, which was a bit of a disappointment.

Went to a GIANTS GAME in the evening, fortified by beer and garlic fries. My boyfriend thinks this was the coldest he has been in his life, but we had fun (and the Giants won!). We then went on to BOURBON AND BRANCH for drinks. This bar has styled itself on speakeasies and you enter an unmarked door and need a password to get in. It is hidden in the TENDERLOIN area, and despite being a hardened city-dweller, we found this area pretty intimidating, so were relieved to find the secret entrance and enjoy a few cocktails in this really nice bar.

On our way home we finally made it onto a CABLE CAR. The queues during the day had been really long so we hadn’t bothered, but late in the evening, we had a car to ourselves.

DAY FOUR

Our last day in SF! We wandered to FISHERMANS WHARF and PIER 39. It was very early in the morning so utterly quiet. We spent about 20 minutes watching the sealions and had them all to ourselves. Otherwise found the area to be the kind of tacky touristy stuff we try to avoid.

Queued to get into MAMA’S for breakfast. Half an hour wait but even my queue-hating boyfriend thought it was worth it for the crab omelette and berry pancakes. Walked up to LOMBARD STREET to see the crookedest street and joined the crowd of people taking photos.

And then it was time to leave. We had hired a car from downtown. As a first encounter with American roads, it was pretty intimidating to be launched straight onto a busy road with buses and streetcars to contend with. But after a few scary minutes we found ourselves on the bay bridge, bound for Yosemite, with great memories of San Francisco.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

Sounds like you had a really fun time, thanks for sharing your travels! :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

Ahh, cool that you ran the 5K! You visited some of my favorite places- The Warming Hut, La Taqueria, Bourban and Branch, Mama's. :)

Sorry you missed out on the shops in the mission. I think the problem is that you around Mission St. and 24th, while Valencia Street (one block up, parallel to Mission) is where you'd find all the shops, cafes, and trendy restaurants. Still, you're right that they are pretty well spread out from 24th-16th Street.

In either case, glad you had fun! Great trip report.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

Enjoyed your report-- have added a couple of restaurants to our list. Guess we'll definitely have to wait in line for Mama's one of the days we are there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
722 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

thanks for the report....will add top of the mark to our list.....

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

Thanks for the great report.

I can't believe the bike story. Believe me, not too many people do a short marathon, go all the way to Sausalito (via loops of everywhere)and then back again at breakneck speed followed by Alcatraz_____what a day !

Glad you had a great trip.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

I enjoyed the trip report, too. You missed the shops on Valencia Street in the Mission District, just one block up from where you were. So close, yet so far.

And ... as for your Day Two ... I was exhausted reading it. My Day Two would have considered the 5K the highlight of my day, and I would have gone off and had a beer at the Mission Rock and played some pool.

7. Re: Trip Report - 3 nights in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 00:18