We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking the trails along the coast

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking the trails along the coast

I have been looking into the hiking trails also, I have a question to throw out there. Anyone who has done area hikes around there.

We can either spend time doing shorter hikes, or we can do the long hike at Point Reyes or Tamales Bay area. I have been looking at hiking trails and this one seems like it is a must visit.

Does one really need 4 hours to appreciate that area. We keep up a good pace, but do not want to rush.

Also how long should we set aside for Goat Rock State Beach/park. We will be leaving Calistoga Early am and heading towards Jenner along the Russian river. I really want to see Goat Beach area and Point Reyes. I think we will be happy just getting a look at Bogeda bay. I am not planning on spending much time there. Any other suggestions.

We have reservations for a place in Moss Beach that evening, but we can arrive any time.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

You'll be rewarded even if you spend just an hour or so in the Goat Rock Beach area and take a leisurely stroll along the beach or along the bluff. I would suggest devoting the vast majority of your time to Pt. Reyes Nat'l Seashore. It's vast and takes some driving time to get around the area. Plan well and be sure to pick a map at the Bear Valley Visitors Ctr.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Thanks for the info. That is about the way I can see it going. I was wondering how far you could drive into the point reyes area, as the roads seem to go all over after you get to the bear valley station. It looks very inviting to us.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

I agree with Forestvillian.

You can drive in Point Reyes all the way out to the Pont Reyes Light Station, and you should.

Don't miss the interpretive "Earthquake Walk" near the Visitor Center. It ends with a dramatic visual....a fence which was separated from itself laterally at least 6 feet when the earth slipped during the 1906 earthquake.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

If you'll be around the Point Reyes visitor center and earthquake trail, you may as well take the opportunity to see the Morgan Horse Ranch and Kule Loklo, both very near.

The Morgan Horse Ranch is open for public viewing. It's where mounts for rangers in Western parks are raised and trained.

Kule Loklo is a replica Miwok village with re-crearted dwellings, a roundhouse (ceremonial), sweathouse, and other structures built to traditional patterns of pre-colonial times. Modern Miwok & other park staff and volunteers have joined in making and maintaining it, and doing visitor programs.

In Bodega Bay, if you are an Alfred Kitchcock fan, you'll recognize some of the sites from "The Birds."

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Thanks both of you:

So how does this sound. Leave CAlistoga by 8 or 9 am

head along the russian river, giving us 2 hours to get to Goat Beach Park. Spend an hour there or so. that is now about 12 or 1 in the afternoon when we leave for Point Reyes from Goat Beach.

Does that give us enough time to spend in Point Reyes? We really don't have to get to Half Moon Bay any time in particular. We can get there in the evening. I would like to get to our place before dark however. It is always easier to find in the daylight.

Is it too far for us to possibly drive from Moss Beach/Half Moon Bay one of the next days back to Point Reyes and dedicate more time to see it. We want to kayak during our stay in Half Moon Bay, but we have from a Wednesday to a Saturday. That does give us 2 full days there.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

I am going to throw a monkey wrench in here.....

On your way to the coast you will pass Guerneville and Armstrong Grove Redwoods National Preserve. You really should not miss that.

I would seriously skip Goat Rock in favor of Armstrong Grove. It is not every day that you get to experience this.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,711 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Added...spend an hour at Armstrong Grove and you will be fine for the rest of the day.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,572 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Here's a popular hiking trail pretty close to Moss Beach -

…blogspot.com/2007/02/montara-mountain-febru…

www.bahiker.com/southbayhikes/mcneeranch.html

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Thanks for the tip on Armstrong Grove. We may be able to drive there during our 4 day stay in Calistoga. We had planned on checking out some brewerys or winerys in that area one of the days.

It says its about an hour drive from Calistoga to Guerneville. about 32 miles or so, but slow driving. It seems like it will be worth the slow drive.

The trail near Moss Beach may be nice too. It seems like a long one, I cannot tell so far still checking it out.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking the trails along the coast

Definitely get to Armstrong Redwoods, if you can do it while you're staying in Calistoga, so much the better. That way you won't be thinking how you need to get to Goat Rock and Point Reyes while you're there.

Goat Rock is right next to the coast highway Route One, but the Point Reyes Light Station is an hour's drive from the park entrance at Bear Valley. Even if you only do short hikes there, you could easily spend 4 hours at Point Reyes.

From Half Moon Bay there are tons of hikes you could do, Montara Mountain is just one of them. Another is Purisima Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. These are second growth redwoods, not the giants you'll see at Armstrong. But if you get up to the ridgetop, you'll have great views of Half Moon Bay from 2000 feet above. You can hike up from Higginsj-Purisima Road, or drive to the top on Hwys 92 and 35 (35 is Skyline Blvd) and hike down--it's much easier this way and you get the views at the start of your hike.