We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Haight Ashbury

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Haight Ashbury

hi guys,

I am going down to the Hight Ashbury district this weekend with my friends. we are wondering what places we should see while there... shops, food, landmarks, etc. Also it's been hard to find the exact area. Is most of the stuff on Haight St. or Ashbury? I just want to take in all I can while there..

We are 26 yr. old males males.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

40 years late, but who's counting. The district has long been called the Haight-Ashbury, but the hippie stores were mostly along Haight roughly between Masonic and the Park at Stanyan.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

thanks

i know, but i still want to check it out

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

Check out Amoeba records at the west end of Haight, it's huge, used to be a bowling alley.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

you may like The Pork Store Cafe for a brunch or lunch spot on Haight & Ashbury; see article: www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,820 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

Villians and Villians Vault are two of the better clothing stores on Haight (the others are mostly vintage or used).

There are a few different Shoe Biz shops with a neat variety of street shoes, like rare pumas, nikes, etc.

Kid Robot and Giant Robot for Japanese anime and Hong Kong style action figures, toys, tees, etc.

Most of the shops are on Haight, closer to the park.

Cha Cha Cha has good sangria, alright food. Kan Zaman has middle eastern food and a bar area where you can smoke hookah (water pipes).

The Alembic for a cool bar/small plates.

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

Cha Cha Cha is my favorite on Haight. The tapas and sangria are excellent.

South Bend, Indiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

Thanks Guys,

I should have fun!

Cheers

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

Aardvarks is a neat used clothing shop on the Haight. Everything else interesting has already been mentioned.

***Caution*** bad but funny idea.

As you walk down Haight Street, you may be passed by one (or more) nondescript hippie types quietly says "buds, buds. buds for sale". He is trying to sell drugs without attracting attention. The best thing to do is to help him out with his marketing efforts.

In a clear, loud voice, say "What are you saying? Could you please speak up ? Are you trying to sell me marijuana ?"

then watch his face (if he sticks around that long).

Keep in mind this is a *bad* idea, which I include simply for amusement

9. Re: Help with Haight Ashbury

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 19:20