We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

Just thought of a possible strategy to find a shorter line to get on a Powell/Hyde cable car headed for Ghiardelli Square...

As the cable car heads back from Ghiardelli Sq to downtown, it should be very crowded and become less crowded as it approaches the end of the line at Market and Powell (at least that's my theory). Can you hop on the cable car in downtown heading in this direction, but not get off at the end of the line? Then just stay on the cable car as it turns around, heading in the direction you really want to go.

Does this make sense?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

Just for reference, I came up with this question after this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k221000…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

Sorry, but it's not going to work. The crew takes a break at each end of the line. All passengers must disembark. Also, fares are $5 ONE WAY, so those without passes must pay again. You might try boarding a couple of blocks up the line, or take the California line to Powell where it crosses the other lines. A few people usually get off there. Remember, this involves two separate fares, though.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

Last Saturday I was standing outside the H&M store on Powell, waiting for my wife and daughters to do their thing in the store. This is just up the street from the cable car turn around. When the cable car stopped at the intersection O'Farrell, 5-6 people got on almost every time. I stood there for a long time, and every car that came by people were getting on. This was in the afternoon, around 5pm.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

OK. Thanks for the replies. Looks like we'll just be trying to get on at Market and Powell.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

We were almost always able to get on the first cable car that came past us when were waiting at the stop by Union Square, on the corner of Powell & Post. I think out of all the times we did it, we had to wait for the second car to come along once, and that was because there were already a family getting on at that stop.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,547 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

You may manage to board a car away from the Powell turnaround only to discover that the car is on the Mason line, and what you wanted was the Hyde line, which is more scenic and does more climbing. Both use the Powell turnaround and climb Powell Street. So be sure which car you are boarding.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Good point dhauk. Plan is to drop off my cousin and his family (they are from Japan) and then drive to meet them down at the other end. That wouldn't be good if they took the Mason car. Is "Powell/Hyde" marked clearly on top?

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

It is clearly marked on the side of the vehicle. There are no headsigns on the front of cable cars. I concur with others about using the Union Square stop. Just don't let the word out or else it won't be of any use to anyone! Good luck!

England
Level Contributor
490 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

We've just returned from our trip. We rode all the cable car lines, several times over 3 days. The ONLY time we had to wait in line ( and that was for almost an hour ) was about 9.30am at the Powell/Market turnaround. We rode the same line a couple of times but an hour earlier and had no wait at all, so if you can get your friends there early, they should have no problem getting on.

10. Re: strategy for getting on cable car - would this work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 06:18