We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

Just read on another post about this park. I have the article referred to with the muni information, but if we decide to check it out while we have a car (like on our way into the city) where would be the best place to park -- or just anywhere we can find something?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

I think you should be alright finding street parking on one of the avenues nearby- there's usually plenty of parking in the sunset district.

Here's a good article on what to see there:

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

I love Turtle Hill, and used to live 4 blocks away. Plenty of street parking, nary a tourist.

BellaG gave you a great article. Stairway Walks by Adah Bakalinsky is a great book as well.

Bring a windbreaker, it's windy and foggy much of the time. There's an irony to the Sunset district's name... since you rarely see a sunset due to the fog!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

You didn't ask for it, but I thought I'd throw a plug in for some things to see in the Sunset District, since most visitors don't get out there.

Irving Street is sort of a mini Chinatown with the Sunset being full of Chinese families who make up a huge portion of the City's population. You'll find some great Chinese restaurants not far from Turtle Hill. I like San Tung on Irving and 13th. Right next to it is a good Vietnamese place called Yummy Yummy, they have some good Pho as well as roasted meats that you wrap in rice flour "tortillas" to make your own rolls. Also up at 9th and Irving are lots of great places to eat like the Crepevine, Plutos, and one of my favorite comfort food places, Park Chow. My 2nd favorite Bakery is called Arizmendi swing by for a snack or mini pizza (favorite bakery is Tartine, BTW). One of the major entrances to Golden Gate Park is on 9th, so you're only a few blocks away, to avoid parking meters, you can park in the park and walk up 9th Avenue to the shops/restaurants I mentioned. If you head into the park from 9th, park and go left towards our Strybing Arboretum/SF Botanical Garden. Great place to eat your Arizmendi treats.

Further down between 19th and 24th on Irving are lots of little shops for things like take out dim sum, shops with cheap Chinese imported items (maybe even cheaper than Chinatown), toys, bubble milk teas, etc... There's even a good falafel/schwarma place called Sunrise deli at 22nd and Irving.

If you go to Turtle Hill in the morning, there's a great breakfast place called Bashful Bull on Noriega and 19th. Or you can get a Cha Siu Bao (bbq pork bun) at Cafe Bakery at Noriega and around 22nd.

Since you seem willing to explore and will have a car, check out the Sunset and see things that most tourists don't!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,860 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

MrChinn has given you some great tips.

Since you have a car, you might out to check out another lightly visited, yet spectacular sight, Tank Hill. It has quite the panorama. It's on the flank of Twin Peaks, another better known, view point.

josephstubbscreations.com/Home2/sf/sfparks/t…

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi…

www.yelp.com/biz/tank-hill-san-francisco

Parking is possible on Clayton or at the end of Carmel St.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

Great information! Thanks to all. I've copied the articles and information here. I actually have the Stairway Book and will look these places up in it. We have things planned, but a pretty loose schedule so we can fit things like this in when the weather/fog is cooperative.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
166 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

I live about 1 mi away and I've only been up to Grandview Park a few times and I've only approached it from the west side.

I usually go east on Moraga until it Ts off which is at the bottom of the mosaic stairway. I've never had a problem finding parking here, but watch out for street cleaning which is the only parking restriction here and it's usually two hour no parking restriction. If you park on a hill, ensure you curb the wheel. Giving the slopes in that area I would be surprised if it weren't enforced.

You have been given some excellent advice. If it's not too cold, you might consider venturing down to Polly Anns on Noriega and 39th Ave for some ice cream.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

Wow, that's fantastic you're coming to my neck of the woods. There is NO problem with parking. You must see the mosaic stairs. (I bought a tile.) It's not really a park. It's a large sand dune/outcropping of rock. Also, there are no toilets there. There are more rocks if you go up on 14th Ave, very rarely there are rock climbers. It's gorgeous right now and the views are phenomenal. You will love it. Enjoy.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

I second San Tung and Polly Anns. San Tung happens to be one of my favorite chinese restaurants. (It's closed on Wednesdays though.) If you are interested in dim sum in the morning or seafood dinner, there is South Sea Seafood Village restaurant located at 1420 Irving Street.

I live a couple of blocks from Turtle Hill and lately, the weather has been great so you can see views of the Marin Headlands and as far as the East Bay.

Enjoy your visit.

9. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2008, 22:27
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turtle Hill (Grandview Park)

After reading Hankshanker's review, I realized that I goofed and said that Yummy Yummy Restaurants is on Irving and *13th," which is a double mistake...

First of all, there is NO 13th! Duh... I knew that. They call the avenue between 12th and 14th, Funston, because who would want to live on 13th Avenue!

Second of all... Yummy Yummy is on Irving between 11th and 12th! Grrr....

That was bad. My apologies.