We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I-5 San Francisco to LA

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
667 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
I-5 San Francisco to LA

What will this drive be like on a Monday if we leave around 9:30am from Fisherman's Wharf. I'd like to be in LA for a quick stop in Hollywood in the late afternoon. Our flight is 5:40am on Tuesday so we are just staying somewhere close to LAX.

Also, our youngest dd has car sickness issues, someone on the Monterey forum mentioned we should avoid 5 driving from Oxnard/Solvang/Monterey in the beginning of our trip, and it just occurred to me that we will have to drive it coming back!! She does okay with benadryl, but we haven't tested it on mountain roads! I'm hoping this trip isn't a driving disaster for her and us! We are driving:

LAX to Oxnard

Oxnard to Monterey with a quick stop in Solvang

Monterey to Santa Cruz (day trip)

Monterey to Yosemite

Yosemite to South Lake Tahoe (hopefully Tioga Pass to 395)

South Lake Tahoe to San Francisco with as stop at the Jelly Belly Factory

San Francisco to LAX

I might try a wrist band or some other non drug. She can't take dramamine and is allergic to anti nausea medication, so we are limited.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

The nauseous part of the Oxnard/Solvang/Monterey drive is on Highway 1 through Big Sur, not Interstate 5. If you want to get from Oxnard to Monterey and bypass the curvy part of Highway 1, you can take Highway 101.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

We just drove from Oakland I-580 to I-5 to I-405 all the way to Hermosa Beach (Just past LAX) on Friday, 2 weeks ago, It took a bit over 6 hours with a lunch stop of maybe 30 minutes.

5 does not go anywhere near Solvang/Monterey etc.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

The drive through Yosemite is going to be as bad as Highway 1 in terms of twists and turns. Good luck with that...

You will be fine leaving Fisherman's Wharf at 9:30. Take city streets to the Oakland Bridge, take I-580 east/south, and continue all the way out past Tracy to I-5. You will probably arrive in Los Angeles around 3 or 3:30.

4. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2008, 22:27
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

"davdaven suggested that you "Take city streets to the Oakland Bridge" but, after years of looking, I can find no documentation that such a bridge exists on this planet."

SwingCha?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

SwingCha for sure, as I've long suspected, but didn't feel like outing him again.

The "Oakland bridge" is actually called the "Bay Bridge" Hiway 80

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

The beginning of your journey to Oxnard & Solvang will not be a concern for car sickness. However, if you're planning on driving scenic Highway 1 from San Simeon up to Monterey through Big Sur, then you might have a problem.

To avoid the car sickness issue, you can stay on the 101 freeway up to Salinas and cut over to Monterey on Highway 68.

If you're interested in a non-toxic, no side effects motion sickness remedy, I recommend ginger root capsules. Ginger root is an herb that has stomach calming properties and works great. I used it on a whale watch trip several years ago and had no problems with nausea at all.

You probably will need something for her if you go over the Tioga Pass. I remember seeing that road as a child and I was relieved we did NOT take it.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

As for the FrankTurk/SwinCha debate....

Some people have a hard time keeping their sarcasm in check. He just couldn't resist. Wonder what his next moniker will be.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

While Kibblesmom is right about the Ginger Root capsules calming the stomach, they do little for the inner ear issue which can be a huge part of the motion sickness phenomenon. I am a sufferer myself. I have found that being in the front passenger seat helps quite a bit - being able to see and orient oneself makes a difference. Cinnarizine is another antihistamine that works. It's not available in the US over the counter but perhaps your doctor is aware of something similar by prescription.

As for the drive itself, I recently made it from the Bay Bridge to the Grapevine in about 4 1/2 hours including a 30 minute lunch break. Then, after doing so well, I got caught in the residual backup of a nasty traffic accident and effectively shut down the 405. It took three additional hours to get from the Grapevine to Huntington Beach. UGH! If you have GPS and it has a traffic alert feature, use it.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,735 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I-5 San Francisco to LA

"While Kibblesmom is right about the Ginger Root capsules calming the stomach, they do little for the inner ear issue which can be a huge part of the motion sickness phenomenon"

Good point, beansandcod. If the poster's daughter is old enough to sit in the front passenger seat (California has strict laws regarding this, BTW), they should consider that as an option. Also a good idea for her not to be reading books, magazines, etc., as that can also create motion sickness issues.

I hope the poster and family find a successful solution for their daughter's motion sickness issue.

Rest assured, there will be no issue with motion sickness along the I-5. You'll have to contend with the boredom issue for this leg of your trip, I'm afraid.