We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Topic
17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

I just posted this on the Carmel forum, but since this forum has more people, I'll post it here too:

Even though I'm relatively close, I've never been to 17-mile Drive. Yes - I've seen all of the reviews saying it's a waste of money. But I have some relatives coming over from Japan that I'm taking around the Monterey area. Originally, I was planning on taking them to Point Lobos as a last stop of the day, but I've reconsidered and think that they will probably appreciate 17-mile drive more.

Besides Cypress Pt, are there any other recommended stops along 17-mile drive? How long should I plan for?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

The response you got from PGdenizen on your other post is the best there is. She is a resident expert in that area and knows the ins and outs. I live across Monterey Bay and completely agree with her advice.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,971 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Also, I am not sure why you have decided that they would appreciate the 17-mile drive more than Point Lobos. Point Lobos has trails and opportunities to see sea life and tide pools and etc. Not just a drive to stop the car on the shore and see it from there.

Whatever.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Hi, I would not miss Pt. Lobos State Park, it really is a beautiful place to explore while you're in the Carmel area. Both of the restaurants at nearby Highland's Inn are great, we dined at Pacific's Edge this past May and it was perfect with beautiful views. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Can't you do both? We liked the ride from Monterey by Asilomar and caught the entrance to 17 mile drive at Pacific Grove. I liked driving by and seeing the scottish golf course. Alot of the drive is through residental areas where you won't be stopping. We didn't spend more than an hour or so there and left via Carmel (right above the beach). Avoided going back out to Hwy 1.

I think it depends on what they want to see/do also. We loved the parts we saw of Point Lobos and would like to spend more time there, but we are more into nature, trails, etc.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Thanks all for your replies.

My cousin and his family just arrived from Japan today. They're still pretty jetlagged - at least my niece. I don't think they'll be up for a lot of hiking tomorrow afternoon at Pt.Lobos. We'll get to do that later in the week in Yosemite :)

Tomorrow, we'll drive from San Jose in the morning to Elkhorn Slough where we'll do just a little bit of kayaking. You only have to paddle out about 100-200yards to get a good view of sea otters. I think that will probably be the highlight of the day.

Then I plan to take them to Carmel to check out Carmel City Beach and a little shopping. Would also like to take them to Pt.Pinos Lighthouse and drive a bit around Oceanview Blvd in Pacific Grove. Finally it was going to be a stop at Pt.Lobos which we might still do if they have enough energy. Personally, I would love to go there, but instead I think a leisurely drive on 17-Mile Drive just for a been-there-done-that experience will be OK with them. We'll see.

Level Contributor
35,022 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

Carmel City Beach is gorgeous, take the Scenic Drive that goes around the ocean there. Tor House is an interesting building, they offer guided tours of Tor House, also. :)

7. Re: 17-mile Drive in Pacific Grove - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 01:19