We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help on my walk?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Help on my walk?

I've opted to not go for a city tour and try and save some money and do it myself. For this particular day i will be starting at the Handlery on union square (my hotel). Then i was thinking walk down Geary to Taylor street and head to Grace Cathedral. Take pictures etc. Then from there carry on down Taylor to make a visit to the Cable Car Museum. After that walk on Washington eastbound to see the Transamerica Pyramid (photos). Then either head Northbound on Battery or Sansome (whatevers best) to the Levi Strauss Plaza. Head westbound up the Filbert Steps and make a visit to Coit Tower. After coit tower i was thinking head west on Lombard till i come to the 'Crooked Street' (photos). Then head to the sea front on Hyde street and spend the rest of my day visiting the wharf and various piers?

How does this sound? What sort of time do you think this walk would take up to Lombard street? And sorry... also is worth tryin to cram in Octagon House in there somewhere just for photo ops or just give it a miss?

Any input is grateful.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help on my walk?

Your walking route is fine. Note that Taylor is a steep hill so just pace yourself. There's not much of a difference between Sansome and Battery so take Battery St.

The Octagon House is a good distance away from Fisherman's Wharf if you were planning to see it all the same day. You can get there by taking the #45 MUNI Bus and get out at Gough/Union. Route info: …511.org/accessible/schedules/routeinfo.aspx…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,858 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help on my walk?

Wow, you are in for a cardio workout with this route. It's a steep walk up Taylor. Washington takes you back to sea level. Then a steep climb up to Coit Tower. (Telegraph Hill). A bit of a descent on Lombard, followed by another climb up Russian Hill. Then a descent to sea level. Hyde St, the Wharf, and Embarcadero are all flat. It is certainly doable. I would allow at least 3 hours, including rest and savoring to get to Hyde St Pier. The Octagon House would send you away from the Wharf and involve some more climbing. I think it might be a bit much for this adventuresome hike. When you are done, take the F line streetcar back to 4th/Market and walk the last bit of uphill to your hotel. Take off your shoes, have a spot of tea, (or more likely something stronger) and put your feet up, comfortable in the knowledge that you saw some of the city from a locals angle, looking up a lot. Or keep walking up Columbus to Grant to Union Square. This whole post makes me tired. I think I need a spot of tea (or more likely something stronger!)

Here is a bike map. It is a topographic map and may give you an idea of elevations.

http://www.sfbike.org/download/map.pdf

East Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help on my walk?

thanks for the help guys!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,832 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help on my walk?

When you get here, you should consider purchasing the "Walk San Francisco!" map published by Rufus Graphics. It shows street grades and points of interest. The map is kind of pricey at $5-6 but is very helpful.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help on my walk?

Between Coit Tower and Lombard you might want to check out North Beach along Columbus Ave. Stop, have lunch, rest your feet for a while.

Not sure if you are going to Levi Strauss plaza as a destination, or just passing by. There's not much to see there.

London
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help on my walk?

SussexBoyEast - when are you going?

My friend and I are out 18th Oct and will probably walk a fair amount too so interested in reading your plans. Think I need to get my legs in training as the roads in London are pretty much flat! haha

East Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help on my walk?

going 1st October till the 12th October! have a great time though!!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help on my walk?

One suggestion ... there are lots of walking tours that are free. Check out www.sfcityguides.org for more info. There may be a theme that catches your fancy. These are free tours given by volunteer docents who love what they do and the special info they have.

I am not a city guide but I am a docent at the Performing Arts Center. I gave a group of City Guides a tour and they were a great bunch! Obviously knowledgeable and intrigued about everything San Francisco.

I'm not dissuading you from your walk but just adding some info if you wish to augment it!

Have a great time.

9. Re: Help on my walk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 16:19