We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need parking advice

Sacramento
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Need parking advice

Planning on going to multiple tourist spots in SF and need parking advice. I don't want to have to pay $15-$20 parking at each place. Tips like nearby street parking(with or without meters) or cheap lots(I'm thinking $3/hr) would be great! The places:

1) California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park

2) Fisherman's Wharf

3) MOMA

4) Exploratorium

Thanks!

Dan

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,050 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need parking advice

I can only give you our experience last week.

We visited the De Young (very near the Academy of Sciences) and parked in their garage. We were there for 3 hours. The people in the museum and some visitors were saying that it would cost $15.

I believe the fee was $2.50/hr. We were pleasantly surprised. Here is the link.

http://www.truste.org/10th/deyoung.php

There is also free limited parking on John F. Kennedy Drive and Martin Luther King Drive and on Fulton near 10th. You just have to find a space.

There is also a free shuttle from the St. Francis hotel (well, OK, under protest, the WESTIN St. Francis) but space is limited.

The Exploratorium has free parking in its lot.

www.exploratorium.edu/visit/directions.html

You can find out about Fisherman's Wharf parking by using this link and contacting the garages.

visitfishermanswharf.com/gettingaround/parki…

Here is a link to parking at MOMA. Doesn't seem to give rates, but has a couple of positive reviews.

www.yelp.com/biz/sfmoma-garage-san-francisco

Good luck.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need parking advice

First off it depends on if you're in SF on a weekday or weekend but here goes:

1) GGP -- street parking generally very easy (the parking lot is a rip off and only to be used if it's raining). Kennedy Dr unless it's Sunday and it's closed. I volunteer at the DeYoung on Fridays and no problem with street parking.

2) The Wharf -- well, you're screwed there for street parking ... the meters are in force on weekends too. Find a lot and eat the cost.

3) MOMA -- if you don't mind walking a bit street parking can be found south of Market unless the Giants are playing. Go south on 3rd St and you'll definitely find something around Brannan or Bryant. The walk is flat.

4) Exploratorium -- there is a big lot behind the building. It's a little hidden but actually quite large. Again, if it's a weekend it might be more full. Street parking in the Marina can be hit or miss. There is also LOTS of parking at Crissy Field (can anyone on this board remember that it's Crissy and not Chrisy ... sorry just a local going crazy here) and that's just a short walk. Street parking is definitely a go here.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need parking advice

I don't know if they still do it, but when I went to Fisherman's Wharf a few years ago, they had coupon books available in the tourist information place. There was a coupon for a free hour or two (I think) of parking in the garage across the street from Pier 39 (you might have to get it validated though). They had the books at several tourist information places around the city.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need parking advice

Sometimes it's better (cheaper, less hassle) to leave your car in one place if you find free parking, and take a cab to the other areas. The Exploratorium and wharf are fairly close to each other. Maybe do the Exploratorium first, then cab over and back to the wharf (if you can all fit in one cab). Then drive to the other two. Of the 4 locations, the Wharf is the worst for parking.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,581 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need parking advice

On weekdays after residents leave, you can usually find street parking in the residential areas near Golden Gate Park, especially in the Richmond District along Fulton, Cabrillo, or Anza streets and the intersecting numbered avenues.

The closest entrances on the north side of the park to the central attractions (De Young, CAS, Tea Garden) are 8th and 10th Avenues. This is also within a reasonable walk of the Conservatory of Flowers and Stow Lake.

Parking on the south side of the park close to those attractions is tougher, because it's in the middle of the 9th Avenue and Lincoln/Irving/Judah retail district. But if you're willing to go a little farther west on Lincoln Way, parking becomes easier.

It's better to take whatever you can get on one of the long east-west streets paralleling the park (e.g. Fulton, Cabrillo, Lincoln) instead of going way out from the park on a numbered avenue. Buses run the full length of the park on Fulton and Balboa, almost all the way on Lincoln, but only on a few numbered avenues.

On weekdays, be aware of street cleaning. Schedules are on white signs along the curb. Cars won't usually be towed in residential areas, but you will get a parking ticket, adding $50 to whatever you paid for the museums.

BTW, the costliest parking citation is for disability (blue) parking spaces--$275; close behind are wheelchair access cuts and bus zones.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,581 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need parking advice

* "especially in the Richmond District along Fulton, Cabrillo, or Anza streets and the intersecting numbered avenues" *

Should have said Fulton, Cabrillo, Balboa, and Anza, the closes streets to the park in that order.

Sacramento
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need parking advice

Should have probably added I'm going to these places on a saturday and sunday. Anyone recommend public transportation? thanks

Dan

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need parking advice

If you have two full days to do these four things, it's definitely feasbible to do via Muni.

I'd start at Fisherman's Wharf then take the "F" train along The Embarcadero to Market St. Get off at 3rd St. and walk a couple of blocks to the MOMA.

From the MOMA, catch the #30 Stockton to the end of the line at Beach or Jefferson. Walk one block west to the Palace of Fine Arts. The Exploratorium is around behind the pond.

From the Marina, walk up to Richardson & F8rancisco (about 4 blocks but flat) and catch the #28 19th Ave bus. Get off at Park Presidio & Fulton st. You can either catch a #5 Fulton to 8th Ave or walk 6 blocks east.

www.sfmuni.com and www.511.org for more info and trip planning.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need parking advice

Oh, to get back to the Wharf from GG Park, go back to Fulton St. You can catch either the #5 Fulton or the #21 Hayes to Market. Transfer to the "F."

Or rather than going all the way to Market, transfer at Van Ness to the #47 Van Ness.

10. Re: Need parking advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 02:18