We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Western Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

We will be flying Saettle to San Fran after a long flight from Tokyo on North West Airlines should we stick with them or move to United or AA is there much difference?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Don't know in what way you mean "different." They are all US carriers so there isn't much difference between them. There won't be any food service on any of them. So if you're hungry, pick up something to take on board.

Regardless of which you take you will clear customs in SF (US requirement). You will have to claim your bags in SF. You can have them tagged for your final destination but you'll have to claim them and schlep them over to a transfer conveyor. Depending upon the layover, you might be better staying with Northwest as they'll perhaps be more inclined to be sure your luggage makes the connecting flight. I don't know about Northwest but they MAY shuttle you between terminals without having to leave security.

You will also change terminals. United and American are closer to the International Terminal (in fact it's possible to walk between the two). Northwest is furthest away and you'll need to take the Air Train. www.flysfo.com for airport layout map.

You'll likely have to clear domestic security (off come shoes, jackets, cardigan sweaters, coats, no water bottles, liquids and gels in 3oz containers and contained in 1 1-qt. bag -- www.tsa.gov for details).

I hope your layover is at least a couple of hours. Another poster was recently asking who had 2 hours. We haven't heard back whether that was enough.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Well the best prices are Southwest But unfortunately they do not fly Seattle/SFO instead you must fly into OAK or San Jose. They also have the most liberal baggage policy.

I am not sure bit if you stay with the same airline (NWA) you should not have another baggage charge which you may get by switching carriers.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

There will be little difference between Northwest, United or American Airlines in that type of shorter flight. I have flown Virgin Airlines from San Francisco to Seattle and back, and I thought it was the best of the bunch. It's a relatively short flight, though.

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Its only a couple of hours of flying time. But if you are more interested in the service levels on a flight I would probably pick between Virgin America and Alaska Air. But there is only a little difference between airlines on US domestic flights.

Seattle
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

I always fly Alaska Airlines to and from San Fran since I always want to fly directly into SFO. Also, check with Virgin Air, they have rates, like this week that are $69 each way from Seattle to San Fran!

GXS
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
33 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Try Virgin America. They have brand new planes, extremely comfortable leather seats, tv screens on every seatback (IFE), and great service. Ohhh and they have great fares as well. Fares range from $62 to $119 one way.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

I would definitely choose Virgin America or then Southwest into Oakland in preference to the others mentioned.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,237 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

Since it is a very short fight I would simply stay with Northwest, for baggage handling, especially.

There could be a risk of lost luggage if you change carriers in Seattle.

If you don't have to stay in Seattle for any amount of time, you should be able to ticket all the way on Northwest....HNL...SEA...SFO, even if you have to change planes, I think.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

I fly up and down the west coast of the US alot and my favorite airline is Alaska, also sometimes booked as Horizon. The company has always been on time without baggage hassle for me.

Call or e-mail Northwest for partners. Not sure they even do the Seattle to SF hop.

Have fun!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best airline Seattle to San Francisco

I'll take Alaska Airlines over United or AA anytime. But if you can book your Northwest ticket from Tokyo all the way through to San Francisco via Seattle, that would probably make transiting through Seattle easier. You wouldn't have to re-check your bags if you stay on one airline.