We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Down Under
2 posts
Save Topic
Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Our Family 2Adults, 2 teenagers will be visiting the States in Dec 2009 as part of a High School Band Tour. We will do all the normal things including playing in Disneyland, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and UCLA, visit Alkatraz. We plan to stay on when the the tour finishes and hire a Camper for 30 days. Is it unrealistic to take a Camper to Lake Tahoe to ski?

Any other suggestions as "Must Do" stiking mainly to West Coast Hope to visit some Car museums and see some Hot Rods

Greg from Down Under

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

It's possible depending on the weather. Not sure exactly what you mean by "camper". In American English a camper is a thing you slide onto the back of a pickup truck.

Like this

ideamerge.com/motorhomes/canada/2006_10_truc…

They can get pretty fancy with beds, stove, fridge, etc. You are probably talking about, what we call an "RV", Recreational Vehicle. They come in a wide range of sizes, up to the size of a full size bus.

fernwoodbigsur.com/media/photos/camp-rv2.jpg

If it is snowing, you probably won't be able to get up the mountain in a large RV. but this usually only lasts a few hour to a full day at the most. Then the storm passes and you can get on the road.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

There is a car museum in Danville, about 30 miles east of SF. As far as I know it's the only one in the Bay Area.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Re: the car museums, the only one I know of in the area is the Black Hawk museum in Danville. The collection is beautiful but I don't think there are many hot rods.

Re: skiing in tahoe. I agree with the previous poster. It all depends on the weather and your definition of "camper"

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Simbot beat me by a minute

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Large auto museum in Reno about an hour from Tahoe.

Down Under
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Thanks for your responses. I do mean a RV - Looking at at 23 foot V8 4 berth. We have a month to spend so not real sure what to include

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

Hi Greg, you'll be visiting in Dec *2009*? So you have over a year to plan?

Reason I ask for clarification is that with that amount of time, you can buy some guidebooks and get a very good idea of what you might want to see here.

As far as the motorhome, a 23 footer is quite small for a month with four people, so keep that in mind!

In general, motorhomes go pretty well in dry snow (due to the weight on the drive wheels) . . . but, do *not* go at all well in ICY conditions. If you plan to go to Lake Tahoe, you will need to keep a close eye on the weather.

However, here is another problem with camping in cold climates. Many campgrounds and RV parks may close in the winter. For more info on this, try posting a question on the Lake Tahoe, CA thread - there is a poster there (suzie?) who lives there year-round and may be able to help you.

And you will have to take precautions about your water and sewer lines freezing, even in areas that are warmer than Lake Tahoe. If the temps get down to freezing, 32ºF, you have to adjust a bit.

In general, the farther north, the colder it is . . . the farther south, the warmer it is. The coast of CA is more temperate year round, and seldom freezes even in the north.

You're going to Las Vegas? There is a big (300 cars) car museum there, free with an easily obtained coupon, located inside Imperial Palace. Many British models with lots of Rollers; also many Duesenbergs and some famous "stars cars".

http://autocollections.com/

8. Re: Sking in Lake Tahoe with a camper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 21:19