We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report and Thanks!

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report and Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions for my recent weekend trip to San Francisco. We had a great time!

We arrived at SFO at 11pm on Halloween and caught a cab very easily. It was about a 25 minute trip to the Inn at Union Square. We had a lot of traffic, I'm sure due to the holiday. The streets were just packed. The cost was $42 with tip.

The Inn at Union Sqaure was a charming little place. Our room was right next to the area on the floor where they serve breakfast. The sitting room with couch and TV faced the street and it was noisy but the bedroom did not face the street so it was quiet. We enjoyed this place greatly.

Saturday it rained pretty much the entire day. We took our very first cable car ride (bought a one day passport for $11) which was a great deal. We hopped on and off cable cars, street cars and buses all day long. We walked around Fisherman's Wharf, saw the sea lions, and had chowder at Boudin Bakery - YUM! We visited the Ferry Building and Cable Car Museum just to get out of the rain. We also walked around Chinatown and had lunch at R&G Lounge. Fastest service I've ever had and good tasting food. I felt like we could have seen so much more if it hadn't been raining so hard, but oh well. We had dinner at Puccini & Pinetti - great pasta and fish. Then we headed to Ghiradelli Square for some sundaes. Awesome!

Sunday we finally had a break from the rain. We went to Blazing Saddles and rented bikes to ride over the Golden Gate Bridge. This was the highlight of my trip by far. It was a bit exhasting with all the hills and we didn't know we'd be competing for the trail with the USA Half Marathon that morning, but it worked out fine. Riding over the bridge was fantastic. Sausolito seemed like a wonderful town. We only had time for a quick bite to eat before we had to catch the Ferry back and check out of our hotel.

After renting a car at the nearby Hertz, we started our drive down HiWay 1. This was beautiful. We did stop in Pescardero but the wait at Duarte's was too long so we passed on that. I somehow missed the Pigeon Point lighthouse, which I was disapointed, but we loved Santa Cruz. The Boardwalk area seemed great for kids. My husband and I just enjoyed sitting on the beach watching the waves. It was the first time we had seen the sun all weekend. We also drove up 9 to get to the Redwoods Forest Preserve and enjoyed the scenery. As it got dark, we drove to San Jose for the night, so my husband could work in the morning. On the way back to SFO Monday morning we took 280 which was a beautiful drive.

Thanks again to all for your help. I would LOVE to return to San Francisco when we have more time, and hopefully at a better time of year weather-wise.

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

Thanks for your trip report. After our SF/Monterey Bay vacation in October, I like reading others' feedback on how they used their time in the area. Glad to hear you went to Henry Cowell Redwoods Preserve from Santa Cruz; hiking that loop in absolute awe is one aspect of our trip that I expect I'll long remember.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,086 posts
5,161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

Glad you had a good time (and you were here on our rainiest day in a while - still glad you had a good time in spite of the amazing rain of Saturday).

Thanks for sharing!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,708 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

I am glad you enjoyed Santa Crux, and also glad that we had a nice day for you. Thanks for the report.

Level Contributor
34,451 posts
889 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

Sounds like a nice time, thanks for reporting back, we will be in the Montrey area soon and I'm already looking forward to one of those Ghiradelli sundaes there! :)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,151 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

Sounds like a great time, considering you had so little time and it rained. We've really needed this bounty from heaven, so I hope all our guests last week were understanding.

We hope you can come back for a springtime or summer visit for a longer time. We get a lot of fog in the summer, but there are respites when it's clear and balmy. And it's rarely extremely hot.

6. Re: Trip Report and Thanks!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 06:21