We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

We have two girls 12 & 10, would the night tour be too scary for them? Which is the best website to book through. We plan to visit 6th Or 7th Dec.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

This topic has been discussed at various times before. If you enter "alcatraz night kids" (or some such variation) in the search field you'll get a variety of respones. I've only been to Alcatraz during the day but didn't find it scary at all. The night tour gets very favorable reviews, both for the tour itself but also for the ferry ride over in the day light but back after dark and being able to see the lights of the city.

You know your kids best. If they're really sensitive to being scared by things, take that into consideration. But I wouldn't have hesitated to take my niece over there at night when she was that age.

Actually, my mother spent a night on Alcatraz back in the 30's when it still belonged to the Army. She was about 8 and thought it was quite cool. (There were prisoners on the island then -- but, no she wasn't one of them!)

Best website is the offical one: http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

There looks to be a lot of availability but I wouldn't leave booking to the last minute. Even off season this is very popular and sells out.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,207 posts
1,632 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

Your biggest problem might be that it will be too cold for them at night.

Personally with kids those age. I would do a day tour.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

My hubby took my 10 year old on the night tour last summer. He LOVED it. They both said the night tour offered a less crowded more private look at the island. My son had read several fiction and nonfiction books about Alcatraz before we visited the city - so understood much of the history going in to it. It will be cold though.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

I don't think you will have a problem at all and I think they will really enjoy it.

It is not like a Theme Park ride where their objective is to scare you_____it is nothing like that at all.

Take heed of the advice already given to you_______Book it soon only on the website given to you and be prepared for the cold.

Have fun.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
327 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

We took our 11 yr old son on the night tour, he thought it was great! We were there in mid August and I was really cold then so Dec would be freezing for us from the tropics!

There are lots of people so I didn't think it was "scary", but it is dark and just a bit eerie.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

Depending on your kids, I would say go for it. If they're skittish or afraid of dark places, it might be best to do a day tour. On the other hand, if they're not so easily frightened, a night tour is fantastic.

I would suggest giving them some books to read about Alcatraz- I think there might be some which are age-appropriate. Or read through some educational websites with them. The purpose of the books or websites is to give them an idea of what they will be seeing, to prepare them a bit. Not to mention excite them a little. If they're excited, they will be less likely to be scared.

And I will second the poster saying it's not some cheesy haunted house where they jump out and scare people. Quite the opposite, it's very low-key. The atmosphere of the place speaks for itself, it needs no wild theatrics.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

The night tour is fabulous,there were quite a few kids there when we did it & they seemed to enjoy it,as has been said wrap up well!

australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

thank you for all the reply's. I am now more worried about the cold weather and not being too scary for the girls. I think we will book day tour.

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

You don't get away from it that easy,it will probably be cold on the day tour too,a lot of people do not realise how cool SF can be,one of the biggest selling souvenires are the sweat shirts!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcatraz night tour suitable for kids?

Someone else on this forum was just asking about the night tour too. The other point I made there is that doing the night tour is a good use of time. It's one thing you CAN do in the evening which frees up time in the day for things that can only be done during daylight hours.

And, yes, it is always cool and breezy on the bay. Even on our warmest of days. Those sweatshirt vendors at Fisherman's Wharf are sending their kids to college on that fact!

I went in February and wore a wool sweater, jacket and gloves which let me enjoy the ride over on the deck of the ferry instead of being huddled inside.