We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

OH
3 posts
Save Topic
What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

We are packing for San Francisco this week and would like to pack everything in 4 suitcases.

What clothes would you recommend us packing? We are traveling low-key and won't be going to fansy restaurants. Doing lots of walking, crossing bridges, street car riding, muni passing...

and also will visit Monterrey and Big Sur.

Any suggestions on what kind of clothes is appropriate?

I read people mentioning sweaters and jackets...but our jackets here in Chicago are thick and heavy..and our sweathers are thick and wooly and up to our neck...

Thank you so much!

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

It will most likely be in the 50's during the day and 40's at night, so bring clothing that works in that kind of weather. People always suggest layers. If you start walking up hills, you may want to be wearing a jacket that you can easily take off and carry. If you're wearing a thick and wooly sweater that you can't take off, you'll regret it.

This is the rainy season, so bring something waterproof and an umbrella.

There's no need for anything you'd wear in a snowstorm.

Mill Valley/Marin...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

Dear wheretonext7777,

For us in the SF Bay Area, it has been chilly lately. But, based on where you are coming from, I can see why you are asking the question - it is much warmer here than in Chicago.

Jeans are probably the easiest. You do not need long underwear. It has been raining lately, but people do not wear rainboots or galoshes. They just wear comfortable walking shoes with socks. If I were going on a trip without fancy dining and shopping, I would wear a breathable T-shirt, a "polartec" pullover, and a warm jacket/wind resistant that is "car length". Rarely do people wear full length coats (although I have been wearing my "New York" coat recently since for me it has been chilly.)

Bring a scarf (and gloves - optional), and an umbrella. Lots of layers.

Have fun!

Berea, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

When we visited SF/Monterey Bay area in October (considered one of the warmest months), I was very grateful to have brought a knit scarf and rolled-brim fleece hat when the fog rolled in, and my husband actually did wear long underwear (a long-sleeved silk shirt from L.L. Bean) on occasion. Generally I focused on layering -- lots of black with a few green pieces. My black twill "jean" jacket with pockets inside and out and a zippered green knit jacket were worn daily...sometimes both together over a cotton knit V-neck sweater over a 3/4 sleeve T! Two pairs of Clark Privos were the perfect footwear for me. Instead of a purse I generally carried an L.L. Bean bag with room for whatever layers I'd removed. My husband and I each packed just one suitcase for our week's vacation.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

I'd suggest that you think "springtime" in looking at your clothes. I am sure you have lighter weight sweaters and jackets than what you described.

Bring clothes you can layer. You will wear a long sleeve light weight sweater,sweatshirt, jacket for mornings and evenings. Then as you walk around and the day gets warmer you will take it off and have another layer underneath.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

Definitely gloves or mittens if you plan to walk across the bridge (or anywhere else for that matter ... at least my hands are always cold). A hat too. Even on our warmest days it's breezy and cool on the bridge and right along the bay.

Have fun!

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

This is so subjective. It really depends on you. Do you get cold easily?? And being from Chicago, you might be used to much colder weather. So 40-50 degree weather might be nothing to you, in which case, you might not even need a jacket or sweater!

california
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

Bring shoes that are comfortable for walking. San Francisco is not as flat as chicago. Parts of san francisco can be quite well dressed- union square, ferry building, financial district, westfield galleria You'll see lots of low heeled knee high boots, scarfs and tailored trench length coats. When I'm in the city for the day I like to take a purse that can be worn across my body as it keeps hands free for getting on and off public transportation. Enjoy your trip!

singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

Hihi ,

I will be travelling to SF in late January this yr.. any suggestions on the clothing ?? How is the temperature like over therE?

Thanks a million!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

Won't be much different than responses given for late December ... 40s and 50s. Possibly rain. Wear layers, sensible shoes and bring an umbrella.

singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack~ Your input appreciated~

icic.. thanks for the feedback.. greatly appreciate it .. :)