We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping Luggage Home?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Shipping Luggage Home?

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a company that can ship luggage back to New York for me?

thanks guys!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

I would call the UPS store...the one near Union Square is: 588 SUTTER ST Tel: 415-834-1555 (They would likely be closed until December 26.)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,013 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

You might check the post office. It wasn't luggage, but I was able to ship some big moving boxes from New York to San Francisco for what I thought was an incredibly low price. (Although I can't remember what the exact price was.) It took about a week.

Here's a link I found that can lead you to more info:

usps.com/communications/newsroom/localnews/c…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

check the rates with www.luggagefree.com because they claim to be cheaper than the rest (especially if you have light bags). they need 24 hours notice.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

Thank you all for your very helpful replies!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

I would be wary of FedEx- I shipped home a package weighing about 11 pounds to Canada from SF, and they charged me $183 for it!

On top of that, I was selected for extra screening at Canadian customs coming home, and one of the reasons they cited was the fact that I had shipped things home instead of carrying them.

Ack. Next time I either pay for an extra bag or send my stuff home USPS.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

Lady Amanita ... I'm just curious, why would they single you out for extra screening because you had shipped things home? How would they even know that?

I posted some things back to myself from Ireland in 1993 and made the mistake of placing a value other than zero on the package. Had to pay duty on my own junk! Live and learn.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,237 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

Greyhound package Xpress ( via the bus) might be a possible solution- takes about 2-3 days cross country and you can get a price quote online:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

8. Re: Shipping Luggage Home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 00:19